advertisement

Short Synth Documentary

This is exactly why modular synths have never interested me; lots of patching and brow scratching to produce a frankly unusable sound.

Modulars can produce a lot of toot. That isn't the concern, it is about being able to break out of the usual VCO/VCF/VCA signal flow. It is about going west coast. It is about audio frequency mod. It is about 3 different types of oscillator to get "that" sound. It is about getting some ghastly sound, recording it, modifying it, recording it, modifying it. It is about making hi-hat sounds out of a pile of square waves. It is about I Feel Love bass lines. It is about being able to patch what you want, 3 LFOs to modulate A,D,S- R takes care of itself. It is about TONTO. It is the sound programming skills of Tomita. It is about the amount of cleverness in euro with a lot of micro controllers and digital coming in. It is about a wall of knobs and wires, 5U and 4U are brilliant formats. It should be about bananas!

Today it is too much about hipsters doing euro and making expensive versions of what is quite cheap in regular modular synths. Too much of the crap you hate!

Watched this last night, very interesting. I'd love to know more about the vintage stuff at the end.

advertisement

Back