advertisement

Shooting in texas

'Guns don't kill people, mad people kill people'

Is that it? Will this lead to a backlash against people with mental illness? Are they the new Muslims?

I find it fascinating that centuries after the Enlightenment with such abundant technology, that an advanced society can be dragged back the Guy Fawkes era through rumour, fundamentalism, denial of rational thought and the wilful spread of lies. The biggest surprise though is that a POTUS is himself an engine of it. When does the witch burning start?

Trump is ushering in the Endarkenment.

Quite staggering.

1. This is a "mental health" issue and not a terrorist issue. I.e. He is white Christian.
2. They use it as a positive reason for no gun controls as someone was able to fire back.

Fair enough if he can keep guns away from people with mental health issues.

Newsweek:

"Every year, about 42.5 million American adults (or 18.2 percent of the total adult population in the United States) suffers from some mental illness, enduring conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, statistics released Friday reveal."

Fair enough if he can keep guns away from people with mental health issues.

Newsweek:

"Every year, about 42.5 million American adults (or 18.2 percent of the total adult population in the United States) suffers from some mental illness, enduring conditions such as depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, statistics released Friday reveal."

Nope, can't do that per the NRA.

Quite staggering.

1. This is a "mental health" issue and not a terrorist issue. I.e. He is white Christian.
2. They use it as a positive reason for no gun controls as someone was able to fire back.

2 = arm the crazies (whites only), kick their asses, take the guns from them and shoot them...dead.
Have I got that right?

Trump says it is a mental health issue, not a guns issue.

Its clearly a gun regulation issue, but does look to be yet another nutter rather than political/religious terrorism. My initial fear was one of Trump’s KKK lot had brought their brand of terrorism to a black church, but it doesn’t look to be that at all.

2e36b743164c7b5f9379b47b5de55230.jpg

President Donald Trump, on a tour of Asia, said the gunman was "a very deranged individual" and denied that guns were to blame for the shooting.
"We have a lot of mental health problems in our country, but this isn't a guns situation," he said.
BBC

I can hear him saying it, or rather reading it badly in that quiet little 9 year old's voice h e u-ses

Guns don't kill people. Mentally ill people, with guns kill people. Yebbut, mentally ill people with knives would kill fewer people.

We've said it all before, it makes no difference. On this side of the pond we are just preaching to the choir. We know why it's happened, we know it will happen again and go on doing so until something changes.

We've said it all before, it makes no difference. On this side of the pond we are just preaching to the choir. We know why it's happened, we know it will happen again and go on doing so until something changes.

Yep, agree. I'm sorry for those affected but it's a continuous fact of life in the US; these events will just carry on in much the same way with little or no reduction as long as things remain as they are, I'm presuming that Americans are comfortable with the slaughter or they'd react to it.

Guns don't kill people. Mentally ill people, with guns kill people. Yebbut, mentally ill people with knives would kill fewer people.

Let's not forget teh Abuser in Chief repealed legislation that stopped 75,000 people with dangerous mental illnesses from being able to buy guns.

Yep, agree. I'm sorry for those affected but it's a continuous fact of life in the US; these events will just carry on in much the same way with little or no reduction as long as things remain as they are, I'm presuming that Americans are comfortable with the slaughter or they'd react to it.

Almost every argument and issue turns out to have a near 50/50 vote. So I assume quite the opposite but wonder how the people against it cannot get it controlled

I suspect there isn't a figure or a target bad enough that can change the minds of the gun lobby.

A primary school, a church, 600 shot by one man... Still nothing.

Just a case of wait till the next massacre.

I suspect there isn't a figure or a target bad enough that can change the minds of the gun lobby.

A primary school, a church, 600 shot by one man... Still nothing.

Just a case of wait till the next massacre.

Certainly nothing will ever happen with an idiotic far-right Republican POTUS on the fringes of that party propped up by the NRA, white supremacists, Confederates and assorted religious bigots etc. A Democrat administration would be far more open to rational thought.

advertisement

Back