advertisement

Shoebox Naits

I've had the Nait 2 into the JBLs for two days now. This little amp continues to amaze me. The music seems to really "hang together", the bass is punchier, fuller, deeper yet just as tuneful as with the big amps. The big amps offer a bit more resolution, but the music can seem a bit stretched apart/dissected in comparison with the Nait. The overall sound of the big amps is leaner.
I continue to be amazed at how the little Nait can control those JBLs, especially the bass end of things.
It seems I've stumbled my way into a system with a great deal of synergy going on...

Mid spec LP12/MP-500/Archidee/Graham Slee Reflex-M/Nait 2/Fraim/NACA5/JBL4429

Sweet and simple...

I had a Nait 1 for 15 years and this little box really signs.

The kit I had that came close to it but with more muscle is NAC 32.5/HiCap/NAP 110.

I have now a kit made of NAC 32.5/HiCap/Bolt down NAP 160 and I have now the best of both worlds : it really signs and got some muscle.

Once you spent a few hours listening to a Nait1/2 with good sources and speakers, it's difficult not to get hooked. The big Naims may show more muscle and artifices but as good as they can they can be, they somewhat miss that unique musical togetherness of the small low powered Naits.

Once you spent a few hours listening to a Nait1/2 with good sources and speakers, it's difficult not to get hooked. The big Naims may show more muscle and artifices but as good as they can they can be, they somewhat miss that unique musical togetherness of the small low powered Naits.

You absolutely nailed it. That "musical togetherness" is such a rare thing, IMO...

You absolutely nailed it. That "musical togetherness" is such a rare thing, IMO...
+1
This was the first thing I noticed when connecting up a Nait 1 the first time. It made music a cohesive whole where every musician seemed perfectly sync'd. I was able to relax into the music much more than any previous setup. It was a kind of relief. I know not everyone will hear things this way but for some of us the Nait 1 and 2 perform a rare feat.

Reactions: TLS
in another topic I wrote about the Naits (had quite a variety and number of them) and still keep my high opinion of the 3 (at least of this one that I have) - I never heard those negative traits that's said above. anyway, it's a really underrated amp and the one I rate the best of the three - and the 2 the mostly faved, which IME is not really the case with the 1 taking the win of the two being more open (not harsh) and dynamic. horses for courses, though, I know...

My first encounter with Naim was with a Nait 5i which replaced an Audiolab 8000s
The 5i stayed in my house for 5 years until i heard a Nait2. I was immediately hooked.
Bought a Nait 2 and never looked back.
I have tried many other amps but keep returning to the little shoe box.
The thing about the Nait that astounds me is its synergy with any speaker (within its capabilities). Everything just sound fun with it

The little Nait 2 changed my complete setup decades ago.

Even my then expensive valve setup, the Nait completely out-performed it in several areas, so much better on timing, involvment and joy of listening.

Get your speakers right
Use a good turntable

IMO Nait1 just about outshines the Nait2 in terms of directness and cohesiveness. The Nait2 is cut from a similar cloth, and trades some of the Nait1 attributes for a somewhat lusher landscape. The Nait5 trades a little bit again, in exchange for tonality and timbre. Take your pick, all 3 are very difficult to beat for musical engagement.

Kans are the classic 80s choice but I don't like them or the Nait 2 and 3 I've heard. I heard a 3r with TDLs so that may be a fit.

Of the few I've tried and were happy with:
  • Linn Katans work really well in a smallish room. I have been using these with Kan II stands for a while now. They lack the bass control and stunning timing of Kans but the music can breath and is still engaging and very easy to live with
  • Linn Keilidhs work really well in a small or medium size room and help provide more bass to fill out the sound a bit, especially the Nait 1 which can be a bit 'thin'. The sealed cab provides well controlled bass. I used these with a Nait for a long time until the 12/160 came along
  • Shahinian Larcs but they are quite expensive - £1,200 second hand. I sold mine in the end
  • Linn Kan 1's are an aquired taste that frustrate with their incredible sound on some music whilst struggling at other times - I've not given up though! I also think they are better suited to a 12/160 which has more power and a warmer sound. They are currently on my subs bench
  • Linn Tukans / Linn Kan 2's will compress the sound a bit like Kan 1's but they offer a more neutral/normal presentation - not as much fun as Kan 1s though. Tukans are cheap as chips
Of the others:
  • Royd Edens were lively and enjoyable but I missed the Linn tunefulness all too quickly
  • Linn Majik 109s don't seem to suit the shoebox Naits for some reason - they just sounded wrong to me
  • Linn Majik 140 are OK but a bit boring - I think they need a lot of control to keep the bass in time with the rest
  • Q Acoustics Concept 20 were good at the HiFi stuff but again I missed the tunefulness of Linn. And the infamous Nait boogie seemed to evaporate
  • Royd Minstrels have a rough and ready sound but are really good fun. I think it's possible to do much better though and some people hated the combo when I had it for a while - £100 and they are yours if collect from Oxfordshire :)
incidentally, I use Linn K20 speaker cable although most folks favour NAC-A5. K20 doesn't sound as clean as the Naim cable but I find the music flows a bit better.

I forgot to mention just bear in mind both my systems use an LP12 (one modern and one late 80s) so there might be some Linn synergy at work there. No digital sources either.

Also I have yet to try Ninkas with a shoebox Nait.

Rega ELAs are supposed to be really good too so they are on my list to try one day.

Also want to try Russell K Red 50s at some point.

I know that I'm far from the first to say there really isn't as much difference between the Nait 2, and the bigger separates, as one might imagine/expect. I've been spending lots of time in front of the JBLs in the six days since I installed the Nait 2 in the system. The way I see it, what I lose with the Nait 2 is a smidgen of resolution and the luxury of a remote. What I gain with the Nait 2 is more involvement, a better sense of "togetherness" in the music, better bass, a more relaxed sound, and a big smile on my face. All of this is obviously in the context of my system/room only.
The 52/250 is a much finer amp than I have given credit. It really belongs in a system with a top spec LP12, or equivalent, and I have come to see that. With a better turntable, the 52 would be staying.
On the other hand, I love the sound of my present LP12 into the Nait 2/JBL4429, and the little Nait has no problem at all driving the 4429s, so the way forward is clear.
There is also something very satisfying about a simpler system...

SNIP

The 52/250 is a much finer amp than I have given credit. It really belongs in a system with a top spec LP12, or equivalent, and I have come to see that. With a better turntable, the 52 would be staying.
On the other hand, I love the sound of my present LP12 into the Nait 2/JBL4429, and the little Nait has no problem at all driving the 4429s, so the way forward is clear.
There is also something very satisfying about a simpler system...

FWIW, a couple of quotes from Naim's two Olive brochures:-

"The 52 is a no compromise preamplifier intended to provide the finest available sound, for use with the best possible sources."
"(the 52) will provide the finest and most musical performance available when used with the best possible source components"

All to do with system hierarchy, of course, which Naim were (are?) major advocates, but that seems, to some at least, rather 'unfashionable' these days.

However, ultimately, all that matters is what the individual thinks, and you seem to have found your preferred combo! :cool: :)

advertisement

Back