advertisement

Shirley Williams dies aged 90

Does it take a "great mind" to think that Labour's subsequent record - losing three elections on the spin and spending an interminable sixteen years in opposition, suggests otherwise? Let's hope they never have to "do quite well" again.
I thought they won 3 elections on the bounce closer to the point she left than now, or did I dream this? The current Labour mess has nothing to do with Shirley Williams.

Ahem. The sub atomic particle was called a 'Woy'. Pedantry is the soul of writ.
I’m afraid you’ve been misinformed. The ‘woy’ was a ‘charm’ flavour of quark discovered by David Owen on a holiday trip to Greece, whereas it was the ‘up’ quark discovered by our dear Shirl, that was the ‘Roy’. Both flavours, the Woy and the Roy, can of course exist together in The Standard Model, but no one can tell where they are or what they’re doing at the same time. It’s complicated.

Last edited:
You were being snide and nasty for no good reason.
True, but quite a few members dissed the duke on the other thread. Sauce for the goose and all that.

I try not to get precious about this stuff. I think the good doctor's post was a dick-move, but I accept that dicks are entitled to their opinions.

I’m afraid you’ve been misinformed. The ‘woy’ was a ‘charm’ flavour of quark discovered by David Owen on a holiday trip to Greece, whereas it was the ‘up’ quark discovered by our dear Shirl, that was the ‘Roy’. Both flavours, the Woy and the Roy, can of course exist together in The Standard Model, but no one can tell where they are of what they’re doing at the same time. It’s complicated.
It's got a lot simpler since the Whig's Boson was discovered, though.

I always thought that the Labour Party did quite well for a time after she left. Always difficult to keep up with the great minds on here though.

I thought they won 3 elections on the bounce closer to the point she left than now, or did I dream this? The current Labour mess has nothing to do with Shirley Williams.

How does that square with your post - "the Labour Party did quite well for a time after she left"? They spent 16 years in the doldrums.

Or did you mean "the Labour Party did quite well a long time after she left."

How does that square with your post - "the Labour Party did quite well for a time after she left"? They spent 16 years in the doldrums.

Or did you mean "the Labour Party did quite well a long time after she left."
It was in the context of the comment made as if her departure condemned Labour to electoral oblivion but they did win subsequent elections. Labours problems in the 80s were deeper than a few MPs forming another party.

I don’t think the recent breakaways at the last election had any real effect on Labour either.

advertisement

Back