advertisement

Shireen Abu Aqla

Spike

pfm Member
After the disgraceful murder of Shireen Abu Aqua in the Occupied West Bank and then the horrific scenes on Friday after Israeli police hit mourners at Abu Aqla's funeral, when her coffin almost fell as police, some using batons, waded into a crowd of Palestinians gathered around it. Hardly anything condemning the Israeli Government who allowed this to happen and then defended their actions. When is the world going to step up?
No doubt people will be along calling me an anti-Semite.

I was speaking (generally) with my MP a couple of years ago at a function and I asked him that if I wrote him a letter condemning the Israeli actions in Palestine, the West Bank and Gaza as apartheid, and are as evil as successive South African govts. I said that only sanctions as heavy as those used against South Africa would bring Israel to the negotiating table. As a concerned citizen...would he raise it in the House of Commons? I had to run to catch up with him as he just remembered a previous appointment ! If I cannot get my MP to speak on my behalf , in an allegedly mature democracy. What chance do the Palestinian people and their social media reporters have ?:cool:

They must have been suspected of being anti Semitic
Suspicion is good enough for Israelis

Aljazeera is my main news
Her murder shocked me and I'm used to Israelis doing what they do to Palestinians

Interesting that there were no expressions of outrage and indignation over the past few weeks when Israeli civilians were murdered by Arabs in various parts of the country.

In any case, it is by no means clear who shot the Al Jazeera journalist. The P.A. apparently have the bullet but have not shown it to anyone yet. Which anyway would mean little, since if it is not an Israeli army bullet they could switch it.

After some thought, I'm not going to dignify that transparent attempt to obfuscate and deflect with a rebuttal.

And I will reserve the majority of my outrage for a state that has been found guilty of the crime of apartheid by multiple human rights organisations.

You - and anyone else who seeks to minimise these crimes - are on the wrong side of history.

It is internationally tolerated apartheid. Israel are useful in the region, otherwise they would have been dragged kicking and screaming like a petulant child to the negotiating table.

Just in case anyone hasn’t seen the footage it can be viewed here on Twitter along with a response from Layla Moran (who always talks sense on this topic as one would expect).

I’m not going to get drawn down into the frothing far-left name-calling, nor am I prepared to allow anything anti-Semitic to appear on my website, but these are clearly the actions of an out of control far-right police state and need to be called to account under international law.

I believe 100% in Israel’s right to exist and I acknowledge it is a lone democracy surrounded by religious and other dictatorships, many intent on its destruction, but there is clearly no defending actions such as this. They are exactly what they are and need holding fully to global account.

^ unfortunately Israel is on the right side of history: in the sense Zionists have completely 100% won everything, and the Palestinians have lost everything they had.
'dragged kicking and screaming like a petulant child to the negotiating table' ? You must be joking: Israel is far too powerful militarily, and politically in the USA.

There is a time and place for everything. ISTM this funeral was not the place to enforce a ban on the display of Palestinian flags. It is time for an independent enquiry into how this experienced journalist was shot in the head while simply doing her job, wearing very clearly visible blue vest and helmet marked Press.

I was speaking (generally) with my MP a couple of years ago at a function and I asked him that if I wrote him a letter condemning the Israeli actions in Palestine, the West Bank and Gaza as apartheid, and are as evil as successive South African govts. I said that only sanctions as heavy as those used against South Africa would bring Israel to the negotiating table. As a concerned citizen...would he raise it in the House of Commons? I had to run to catch up with him as he just remembered a previous appointment ! If I cannot get my MP to speak on my behalf , in an allegedly mature democracy. What chance do the Palestinian people and their social media reporters have ?:cool:

I strongly suspect being “ a friend of Israel” confers financial benefits for MPs, as well as immunity from a beating with the “anti semite” stick.

Just in case anyone hasn’t seen the footage it can be viewed here on Twitter along with a response from Layla Moran (who always talks sense on this topic as one would expect).

I’m not going to get drawn down into the frothing far-left name-calling, nor am I prepared to allow anything anti-Semitic to appear on my website, but these are clearly the actions of an out of control far-right police state and need to be called to account under international law.

I believe 100% in Israel’s right to exist and I acknowledge it is a lone democracy surrounded by religious and other dictatorships, many intent on its destruction, but there is clearly no defending actions such as this. They are exactly what they are and need holding fully to global account.

Being a democracy and an apartheid state are mutually exclusive. Israel is an apartheid state, it is not a democracy.

I strongly suspect being “ a friend of Israel” confers financial benefits for MPs, as well as immunity from a beating with the “anti semite” stick.
I strongly suspect that the Israeli government has better things to do with its money than bribing MPs of a globally not very significant country.

Being a democracy and an apartheid state are mutually exclusive. Israel is an apartheid state, it is not a democracy.

I’m not certain that is an accurate description. I am not a political scientist (I’m not even educated!), but to my mind Israel is an occupying force that is containing and constraining a population beyond its internationally agreed borders in what is in reality a persistent state of war. I can understand the visual similarity with the oppressive minority white rule in SA or Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), even segregated pre-civil rights movement America from an emotional perspective, but I’m far from convinced this is accurate terminology. There are clear borders here that have been breached, and that is more an invasion/blockade. In most respects I view it as more similar to what Putin has been doing in say the Crimean area of Ukraine for years. This is an ongoing conflict. It is a war zone in any logical sense of the word.

PS I also view the part the west has played in this inhumanity as utterly shameful. That both Labour and Conservative governments have armed an Israeli state occupying land far outside its agreed borders and in breach of countless UN resolutions is totally unacceptable to me. Not in my name.

The right wing of the Labour Party has made calling this out for what it is, all the more difficult

As has the left. The utter bellend Corbyn retweeting Der Stürmer grade caricatures on a mural, raising a Twitter mob etc did simply irreparable damage and gave the pro-Likud authoritarian-right (both inside and outside of Labour) a real angle to attack and censor all criticism, legitimate or not. As such Labour has been a huge, huge hindrance to any intelligent discussion on the topic or our wider ability to protest. Half of the party being pro-Likud neoconservatives, pro-arming Israel etc, the other a frothing ranting mess often incapable of forming arguments without obvious racism. Really not helpful.

advertisement

Back