advertisement

Sheng Ya CD-S10 CD player - worth fixing?

SteveG

pfm Member
I'm currently working through my mothballed or broken kit and decided what to fix etc. Next on the agenda is a Sheng Ya CD-S10 CD player that I bought a few years back and was working well until it packed in a year or so back. It's slightly unusual in that it has a couple of valves in the output stage and is also an HDCD player. When working it sounds pretty good.

Now I've had a chance to look over it I've found that a T500mal fuse had blown, and when that was placed the CD player will start up (meaning I could at least get the CD out that was stuck in it). It normally goes through a minute or so of warm up (I'm assuming due to the valves) before it starts to warm up but it's now not coming out of this and there is a kind of relay type clicking sound repeating every few seconds. Not only that but there is a burning smell and a little bit of smoke coming off one of the components (which is mounted to heat sink and seems to say something like PM4 18D LM317T on it - so I think it's a voltage regulator from a bit of googling).

So what's the view - worth getting fixed or better off just binning it?

Here's a few pictures of the player:
169158921.olATs9J0.cd3.jpg

169158920.0ukPoIIO.cd2.jpg

This is the component with the smoke coming off it:

169158919.zDADoZSK.cd1.jpg

Only worth fixing as a DIY effort I think, maybe by someone close to you who’d be happy to fix it to hear it (I would if you were in Swissieland).

advertisement

Back