advertisement

Shahinian Obs 2 - got the itch

linntroika

pfm Member
I have been using Arcs now for over a decade and still mighty impressed with what they do . I first auditioned them back in 2011 with various other speakers on a Naim system and i connected instantly with their presentation .
The Arcs are from 2007 (so fairly late Mk1 model).Interestingly at the same time i did audition Obs1 (year of production 1998) but felt the Arcs were more to my liking .

A few years ago i damaged one of the woofers on the Arcs and acquired the new Seas woofer currently found on the Arc2(cabinet maker had to widen the diameter to enable fitment o_O)This proved a big improvement in the bass control.

No dealers near me do Shahinians so auditioning is going to be very difficult unless i do a long travel

Now i have got the itch again ,i would like to hear from fellow members that are au fait with Obs2 , how to they compare to Arcs in their presentation and bass response

Ps -I use a DV power amp

Hi there, maybe not directly related, but I bought a 4 year old pair of obelisk mk ll few months ago and currently waiting on my exposure 16 monos coming back from arkless electronics getting an expensive repair. Will report back as how they sound with the 16,s in time. Also heard the arc,s many years ago and enjoyed ther'e presentation...again with exposure amps.
Stephen

I would be a bit more cautious. I ran my Main system on Briks, I think, for 18 years and the power amp was a Naim 300. They were almost perfect sound wise but the wife started to dislike their appearance and I then sold them and bought a pair of Ark MK1s. They sounded virtually the same as the Briks, slightly more detailed at the top end but slight less deep in the bass but overall it was all a pretty close damn thing.

After a few months, safe in the knowledge that I liked the Shahinian sound, I started to look around for a pair of Obs2 and I wrote in here for advice stating that I would still run the Naim300s and the lounge was 21ft long and 13ft wide with the speakers firing across the room and 7ft apart and dead centre in the 21ft wall.

I was expecting a massive "go for it" type of reply but the reality was that most of the replies were along the lines either stay with what you have got or if you do need to upgrade, go for a pair Ark MK2s on the assumption that they tend to fill the room with sound less effortlessly and are less fussy on speaker placement.

This would mean demming 3 different types of speaker and the honest truth was that it did not all seem worth the effort so I stuck with what I had.

If I had gone ahead I would have demmed all three and made the choice but if you do research and buy blind, it has to be a bit of a gut reaction.

After reading dozens of bits of advice, I probably would have gone for a pair of Ark MK2s because too many people had bought Obs and later went back to Arks.

You have a bit of a problem to be honest.

I have been using Arcs now for over a decade and still mighty impressed with what they do . I first auditioned them back in 2011 with various other speakers on a Naim system and i connected instantly with their presentation .
The Arcs are from 2007 (so fairly late Mk1 model).Interestingly at the same time i did audition Obs1 (year of production 1998) but felt the Arcs were more to my liking .

A few years ago i damaged one of the woofers on the Arcs and acquired the new Seas woofer currently found on the Arc2(cabinet maker had to widen the diameter to enable fitment o_O)This proved a big improvement in the bass control.

No dealers near me do Shahinians so auditioning is going to be very difficult unless i do a long travel

Now i have got the itch again ,i would like to hear from fellow members that are au fait with Obs2 , how to they compare to Arcs in their presentation and bass response

Ps -I use a DV power amp

Sorry, messed up my attempt to reply! We have parallel systems, even down to replacing the arc woofers in exactly the same way. You still using a 52 pre? Id be interested to know your impressions if you try Obs.
( maybe the difference in our systems is now cabling. A couple of years ago I went all in on Morganas and Phantom.)

advertisement

Back