advertisement

Shahinian Obelisk Upgrade

Any NCC200 based amp will make these sing, as I've heard more than once.

Any NCC200 based amp will make these sing, as I've heard more than once.

Then I would say that you have never heard what the Obelisks can do. I used a NAP 250 and a pair of NAP135s (I had both at the same time). I then had the latter upgraded by Avondale to stage 3 at a significant cost that included the startrek boards. I have a lot of respect for Avondale and LesW but although the upgrade did improve the sound especially through my Linn Saras (yup I had both pairs of speakers at the time) I still found the sound lacking. O.K. at low volumes but couldn't get a realistic and dynamic sound. We have a nice piano in the next room to which I compared the sound from the Obs. With the Naims even the Avondaled ones the Obs couldn't achieve the dynamics, volume nor timbre. The mid range was choked.

This is not to knock Naim nor Avondale but these amps are unsuitable for these speakers.

By accident whilst I was looking for an HX 1.2 I dropped onto a thread on pfm about the Hawks and saw for the first time reference to Meridian 559s. Amazingly the same day I found a 559 for sale and went for it. The moment that I tried it was a shock. The Obs came alive even at low volumes with realistic timbre and dynamics. Then at realistic spl I had a seat at a live venue. I later found another 559 and used two in bridged mode for another degree of improvement.

A few years later I upgraded to the Obs 2 (I was an early adopter) and the improvement was a slap in the face. It was like upgrading to the next model up!

I would like to try a pair of HX 100s both in bridged mode to see what they bring to the party.

Cheers,

DV

DV, as you have an early pair of 'Ob II', what are your serial numbers? Are you able to state the actual physical difference from the earlier model?

Seas bass driver and reflector
Birch ply Pyramid
Extra internal Brace
New crossovers
Do these use the same caps/ coils as earlier models (there are much better caps available then the originals)

I would agree with most of the advice so far. Obs are a little difficult to drive but the newer version is much less demanding. However they all seem to like plenty of power. Having been swapping backwards and forwards between my Dynavector L300/HX100 and a JVC AX-1010TN a few times recently, the Obs 2's clearly benefit from the grunt the Dynavector brings even though they are fine with the JVC. The Dynavector just brings something out of those multiple drivers that the JVC can't quite manage.

Having heard Arc's about ten years ago, they are another great speaker but they do not seem to be fussy about amplification in the way Obelisks are.

So to answer to the OP's original question, its probably best to either change the amp or buy the Arcs.

DV, if you're still on PFM could you please either PM me your serial numbers or post them here. I really would like to know when the first Mk2 Obs came about.

thanks

Watts have NOTHING to do with it. It's AMPS that these speakers need and they need them quickly. AshleySimons is sitting on a stack (perhaps literally) of Bedini 25/25's I've tried one with my Obs and they will see off the vast majority of stuff easily. Send him a PM

Failing that buy a JVC AX-1010TN

Hence the point that my Nakamichi amp was more powerful than the Bryston despite 115W per channel less. Regardless, the point was that Obs need a powerful amp and yes, I agree, the more current the better.

DV, if you're still on PFM could you please either PM me your serial numbers or post them here. I really would like to know when the first Mk2 Obs came about.

thanks

John Burns (the importer) had a pair around June 2009 and I bought mine in September 2010. Audio File had the first pair on demo. I don't think many changed hands during that period as the limited number of Obs 2 were shared out around the World.

I didn't open up my Mk1s as I had no need so can't comment on crossover components.

I don't really want to advertise my serial numbers on a public forum for security reasons.

Cheers,

DV

Hello from Austria,
I found this old thread about the Obelisk upgrade and want to add my 2 cents.
End of 2017 I decided to send my Obs (2002) to Vasken Shahinian for an upgrade (best possible - specs 2017/18). After his assessment I agreed to a complete reconditioning - the simple reason why: I love my Obelisk, I love the sound, I even love the veneer (cherry)...why buy a new pair when an upgrade can be done within a reasonable price-range ?
They modified/changed almost everything (except the super-tweeters), sanded and oiled the cabinets, added new grilles and rollers and what can I say ?
They look like new and even out of the box the result was way better then ever expected.
I posted some pics from the passive radiators (they are much bigger - so they had to do a lot of woodwork too) in another forum - I hope it's OK to add the link https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/117059-shahinian-owners-club/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-2241486

My conclusion - worth every penny.
Cheers,
Ewald

Hello from Austria,
I found this old thread about the Obelisk upgrade and want to add my 2 cents.
End of 2017 I decided to send my Obs (2002) to Vasken Shahinian for an upgrade (best possible - specs 2017/18). After his assessment I agreed to a complete reconditioning - the simple reason why: I love my Obelisk, I love the sound, I even love the veneer (cherry)...why buy a new pair when an upgrade can be done within a reasonable price-range ?
They modified/changed almost everything (except the super-tweeters), sanded and oiled the cabinets, added new grilles and rollers and what can I say ?
They look like new and even out of the box the result was way better then ever expected.
I posted some pics from the passive radiators (they are much bigger - so they had to do a lot of woodwork too) in another forum - I hope it's OK to add the link https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/117059-shahinian-owners-club/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-2241486

My conclusion - worth every penny.
Cheers,
Ewald

Hi Ewald, it's almost a year since you made this post (and I'm not sure if you're still active here and will see this) but would you be kind enough to post your upgraded passives photos, and any you have of your upgraded woofers (with cloth grilles off) in this "Shahinian Obelisk drivers" thread: https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/shahinian-obelisk-drivers.171128/

There is some interest from myself and other Obelisk owners about the drivers used in the Obelisk 2's, which I think you're now upgraded to!

advertisement

Back