advertisement

Shahinian hawk amp recommendations

kwmason

Won Ton On
Hi All,

after going from Arcs to Hawks with my EAR899 integrated valve amp - which performs well beyond expectations btw. I want to explore other options.

I did post on here previously for valve suggestions - VTL was suggested but before i possible explore this avenue with an IT85 - possibly paired with an ST85 i would check out Solid State suggestions.

Ideally i would go back to a Dynavector HX1.2 or 100 but these seem rarer than they were 3 years ago, meridian 559 is too darn big and these days i do appreciate the lower box count of a good integrated. I have a separate Whest phonostage so happy on that score although if i could get rid of that box too.....

Have you thought of going class D? I am enjoying my diminutive Bel Canto with Compass's but have yet to try it on the Obs but by all accounts it should work well. A Nord/Hypex might fit the bill and I think someone on here was selling one recently.

I drive my Arcs with either wyred4sound st-1000mk2 or sst son of ampzilla mk2. Both work very well.
First is ice power class D, second is class A/B with massive transformer stable into 1 ohm. I've also used Nord hypex nc500 as well.
One will be sold when I decide which to keep, but point is they may work well with Hawks for less ££ than what you've been looking at.
Where are you based?

You could try a Devaliet.
I have zero experience of them with Shahinians but had a great demo of one into Magico a few years back and they didn;t strike me as lacking for power, grip and speed - all beneficial for Shahinian driving.

Jason

I'm listening to an Audionet Amp1 V2 power amp, would have loved to have heard this amp driving my Obs, so that is my recommendation.

I drive my Arcs with either wyred4sound st-1000mk2 or sst son of ampzilla mk2. Both work very well.
First is ice power class D, second is class A/B with massive transformer stable into 1 ohm. I've also used Nord hypex nc500 as well.
One will be sold when I decide which to keep, but point is they may work well with Hawks for less ££ than what you've been looking at.
Where are you based?

I'm in North Yorkshire

cheers Salamander, ref the reg Osiris, RN i agree as the PFMer i bought the hawks from was using one and it was great, wished i bough it at the time

I use a Plinius Odeon with my Hawks - sounds pretty good to my ears, but I've little else to compare it to (only some Linn 240s and it easily surpassed those)

I'm in south Northumberland. If you fancy a day out up north, then you're welcome to pick up my w4s class D to try for a week or 2 in your system.
We can work out details later.
Mand

Agree with the above re hypex based amps - i'm been using nc400s with obelisks for years and the combo works nicely. Certainly one to consider, especially if size is an issue as they are small for their power output.

Hi,

The best I have heard Hawks was with a Croft pre and a Bedini amp, one easy to get the other rare as hens back teeth.

However I know that something like a Linn 2250, which I have is a very good amp, based on the Klimax Twin, or so I am told.

It easily drives the Arcs and is fast and dynamic, it may not have the sound of valves but then what does, also my Naim 250 set up again drives the Arcs with ease.

Worth looking at other more established and easy to get amps rather than the more exotic offerings.

Just a thought.

Cheers

John

I'm in south Northumberland. If you fancy a day out up north, then you're welcome to pick up my w4s class D to try for a week or 2 in your system.
We can work out details later.
Mand
hi mand im just hectic with work at the moment, i will check my schedule and i might take you up on that kind offer

Hi,

The best I have heard Hawks was with a Croft pre and a Bedini amp, one easy to get the other rare as hens back teeth.

However I know that something like a Linn 2250, which I have is a very good amp, based on the Klimax Twin, or so I am told.

It easily drives the Arcs and is fast and dynamic, it may not have the sound of valves but then what does, also my Naim 250 set up again drives the Arcs with ease.

Worth looking at other more established and easy to get amps rather than the more exotic offerings.

Just a thought.

Cheers

John
The NAP 250 worked well with my first pair of ARCs in 1994 did a decent job. The NAP 160/180 where unregulated and did well with the Oberlisks however the NAP 250 was bettered so too the Nap135s as much as the Nap 500 sexy it didn’t surpass the 1.2 in anything but size and cost.

At this point in time my hifi requirements had surpassed box counts and gimmicks of audio control and management I felt the Audiophile Base platforms where probably one of the best isolation platforms available all stands such as Quadtaspire and the Naim Frame where just overly expensive and offered little to no benefit. My aim was to have a system I could place on the floor and it still boogie.

Last edited:
As I recall, Hawks sing best with lots of power. A Naim 250 was not quite enough, but 135s did the job well for a friend’s system and I expect a NAP300 would work well, but best were big power amps from Krell, Boulder and (iIRC) Dynavector.

The NAP 250 worked well with my first pair of ARCs in 1994 did a decent job. The NAP 160/180 where unregulated and did well with the Oberlisks however the NAP 250 failed to deliver. IICR the time the Dynavector HX1.2 Mk 2 came our so to the NAP500 and as much as I loved Naim the HX was better in every way
There’s a fair bit of difference between the Mk1 and Mk2 Shahinians, the newer versions being easier to drive, but there are also differences between the various generations of Naim amps. The Classic 250.2 was certainly capable of driving Arcs, and the current 250DR possibly more so, whereas the older Chrome Bumper and Olive 250 and 135 would struggle.

advertisement

Back