advertisement

Shahinian Compass, 1 to 2

It's worth it @FranzD. My 2003 Compass 1 upgraded with "Compass 2" drive units are much better than I remember my 2003 Arcs ever being. My ones haven't had the internal brace done from the detailed information that the previous owner kindly gave me.

Thanks Rana for encouraging me. Did you do this upgrade by yourself as Simon or has it been done by Shahinian?

@FranzD Just contact John at Pear Audio. Brilliant service!. He has sent me stuff to Sweden, the last being replacement fuses for my Obelisks which he sent free of charge. He also sent replacement tweeters for my Compasses when one died. Had them fitted by a Linn dealer in Gothenburg.

Pretty sure those tweeters, both versions, are Seas. Any identifying marks on the back? Worth having a look at Falcon Acoustics.

As SimonW wrote in post #14 he also supposed the tweeters were SEAS products. But John recomended to buy them from Shahinian, while referring to the bass drivers he directed him to Falcon Acoustics.

I’m reviving this thread because I’d like to update the bass drivers on my Mark 1s (the tweeters are the current spec)

I’ve found a cabinet maker to do the routing but, but I have no electrical knowledge or abilities. Is there any soldering involved with just the bass unit replacement?

I continue to be intrigued by Shahinian speakers.
A pair of the Elf model came up for sale on PFM Classifieds, but went for more than I could afford.

I really love small speakers ( my BC1s excepted ) and to try a pair of Elfs would be interesting.

"edgreen, post: 4041203, member: 756"]I’m reviving this thread because I’d like to update the bass drivers on my Mark 1s (the tweeters are the current spec)

I’ve found a cabinet maker to do the routing but, but I have no electrical knowledge or abilities. Is there any soldering involved with just the bass unit replacement?

As far as I can see, the answer is yes, soldering is required!
I have just ordered some new mid/bass drivers and will be ordering new tweeters too, also requires soldering.
I talked to John Burns at Pear Audio today and he sent me some helpful information.
I am trying to find someone to do the router work at the moment. I have no idea what solder is best to re-attach the new speaker units, but I have been Googleing and found a few places that sell audio grade silver solder, so should be OK!

Well, after a very busy weekend where I did find a bit of time to try out my new router on a practice piece before letting loose on my Compasses, I then went on to do all the remaining prep work, ready to install the new treble units and mid/bass units. So last night I installed all the new drive units and surprised myself at how good they looked!
As was late'ish, I didn't try them until today, where I had the tuner on most of the time as background, whilst WFH.
This evening, played a couple of albums and I was surprised and relieved at how good they sound with the Mk2 units fitted! Still very much like before in some respect, but certainly more clarity and with a very tuneful bass line. Slightly slower presentation at the moment than the old units.
Question, do you think the bass units and treble, come to that, will loosen up over time? As they already sound as open as before, but wonder if the bass will speed up a bit as they settle down. My previous speakers took quite a long time to run in and open up from new.

You’re brave. How many practice pieces did you do before you were confident to turn the router on the compasses?

regards

Kevin

Ha ha! I practiced by cutting a hole as close to the compass size I could. Then added a 12.7mm rebate, same as the Compasses. Then, modified the router tool to remove the bearing that runs around the hole edge and added a 3mm screw with a smooth, rounded head that was exactly the right size to give the extra 2.5mm all round rebate depth. Worked a treat on the practice run, so, with sweaty palms, went for it on the real thing! Perfectly round rebates at 180 diameter! And just skimmed the depth by about 0.5mm. Very good result!

Have had them playing radio for about 8 hours Tuesday, Wednesday and today, with an hour and half each evening playing vinyls.
The sound has really opened up now and the bass is deeper than Tuesday and the treble has really opened up too, which surprises me a bit. Now appreciate the reason people had said treble was a bit recessed on mk1 Compasses. But it's not a bright treble, but more detail. My Townshend Allegri +, to be fair, is probably only just running in as well, according to John at Select Hifi. So at the moment, I'm very happy and think a couple more days will probably be enough to bring out the best of the Compasses.
Can't believe how deep and controlled the White Stripes Seven Nation Army sounds. I'm using a Nap 250 dr power. Before, it took a Supernait 2, hi cap Dr and 250 dr, to get some where near this. But the Allegri does have more detail coming through also.

Can someone tell me the angle of that front baffle on the Compass please?

I'm making a set of 'omni' type speakers not a Compass clone but I'm just playing with designs for now. The Compass is a good place to start to look at how it's been done well though I feel.

I don’t know the answer to your Shahinian question, but another design worth looking at is the Kibri Naima, which is well described here:
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/23827565/review-hifi-issue-44-kibridk

Having said that, the Duevel Planets (which I have) and Venus designs are hard to beat for 360 degree dispersion.

Thanks, they look interesting. I see they use the same material as the Compass as well. Which I think is 18mm ply but I'm not sure, if someone could clarify that as well it would be good, might be good to follow that as well rather than use MDF. It actually says a little about that in that review you sent me about their preference for ply.

advertisement

Back