advertisement

Setup advice - Will this work? Behringer monitor2usb > poweramp

HarryCrumb

pfm Member
Hi,

I’m hoping someone can give me a yay or a nay to a plan I’m coming up with, as I’m still unsure about output voltage and input sensitivity.

My old Dad has been tinkering around with Logic Pro for a year or so now, but during lockdown he really started getting in to it when he suggested to his non-tech-savvy band that they try recording each of their parts to one of their covers and he would mix it. At that point I improved his system by getting him some active monitors and a decent USB interface.

Around the same time, I started getting in to hifi and was lucky enough to find some slightly neglected Tannoy Eatons which I’ve been cleaning up. I was still on the lookout for some bigger Tannoys and I had a vague idea in my head that I might try to give the Eatons to my Dad once i’d got them up and running. My system is coming together slowly but I set it up the other day at his house as a bit of a surprise and played his latest track back to him. He was blown away by how different and how good the track sounded through a pair of 10” Tannoys (compared to what he has been listening on) and I committed to offering them to him. I had to twist his arm a little bit as he thought he would be denying me the use of them but eventually accepted.

So, I need to incorporate them in to his existing system, which is simply;

Macbook Pro / Logic Pro X > in to Focusrite Solo USB > 2 x balanced jacks to Presonus active monitors.

I really do not want to change any of the above because he’s gotten used to the system the way it is and how he records in to Logic. My plan is to buy a Behringer Monitor2USB - https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_monitor2usb.htm - It has two stereo inputs, two stereo outputs and a USB interface, though I do not plan on using the USB. I’m thinking to send the Focusrite output to the Behringer input, and then obviously output 1 to the active monitors, and output 2 to the Tannoys.

The other bits of kit that I already have available to use are a Quad 405 (modded input sensitivity 1.5v) and a NAD 1000 preamp. Because I still don’t properly understand output voltages and input sensitivity this is where I get a bit stuck. I don’t know whether I could send an output from the Behringer straight to the power amplifier, or whether it would have to go through the preamp. And I don’t know whether introducing three separate volume knobs (Focusrite/Behringer/Nad1000) would cause problems, though I don’t see why it would if two of them were set and left alone.

The Behringer will fit very nicely underneath where the Focusrite already lives, so that would be ideal, and that would become the primary volume control. I know some people might not be in to Behringer products but if this idea works then I’m fine with the quality of it (and the price). What I’m not sure about is whether this plan is ok, or whether there is a gaping hole in it…

I would really appreciate any advice, and feel free to suggest anything different, bearing in mind the need to not complicate the existing setup. As for the room, there is a perfect wall space for the speakers once we add some shelving. The amp would live very close to the speakers, and the Behringer would only be about a 4m run away.

Thanks in advance!

advertisement

Back