advertisement

Setting up Gmail - Problems

Copperjacket

pfm Member
Good afternoon

I am trying to set up Gmail on a desktop and want to use pop3.

This doesn't seem to work at all even when the settings are altered following Google's instructions.

If I let Google do it automatically, it sets the account up as an imap even though the account settings have imap disabled and pop enabled.

My email software is Outlook 2019.

All my other email accounts are set to pop3 and work well across multiple devices.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

I like pop3 because I can set it so the emails sit on the server for 3 weeks to ensure that it downloads to all my devices.
I like the way that I can delete emails from some devices without deleting from all.
I like the fact that if I set my replies to cc me, my reply appears on all devices.
I like the fact I can then archive and back up everything from my main desktop.

I think you will have to manually set up the account in outlook:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7104828?hl=en-GB

But as that instruction set clearly identifies pop 3 is not really designed for across multiple clients. It gets messy, but fair enough.

In outlook goto file add account. It will try and find stuff for some reason let it do its thing. Then click advanced options then 'let me set up my account manually'

Depending on you google settings you may need to create a 'one time password' for this to work for you.

When you are setting up the Gmail in Outlook are you logged into your Gmail via Chrome and have disabled CAPTCHA - you get 10 minutes for Outlook to authenticate

https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

It’s your choice but POP sucks from a security perspective and for a lot of other reasons it’s getting eased out of Mail Syatems. Be aware your password is sent in Plain Text over port 110, hopefully you’re using Secure POP on port 995.

When you are setting up the Gmail in Outlook are you logged into your Gmail via Chrome and have disabled CAPTCHA - you get 10 minutes for Outlook to authenticate

https://accounts.google.com/DisplayUnlockCaptcha

It’s your choice but POP sucks from a security perspective and for a lot of other reasons it’s getting eased out of Mail Syatems. Be aware your password is sent in Plain Text over port 110, hopefully you’re using Secure POP on port 995.
Thats the key with POP3 a) port 110 and connection security = none, authentication password = insecure b) port 995 and connection security = SSL/TLS, authentication = password.

If this still doesn't work its worth trying with Thunderbird temporarily to see if its an Outlook or Google thing.

Cheers,

DV

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm logged into gmaiL via Firefox. I'm not being offered a temporary password or disable Captcha option.

I am trying to set it up with option b) port 995 and connection security = SSL/TLS, authentication = password.

Basically they don't want you to use POP3 because it is a poor choice in 2020, I have nobody left using it so have never had to trouble shoot this with Outlook 2019 - it will be something to do with a Security setting - Allow insecure Apps - 2FA - Application Authorisation / Application Password - Temp timed 10 minute one shot password

Have you setup a Google App Password specifically to use with Outlook 2019?

Hopefully someone who has this config working will be along this evening.

Copperjack just type in 'google one time password' into your browser and follow the instructions. You'll land up with a password to use in outlook.

I don't think you can use modern verification methods that outlook and google are set up to do automatically.

Call me old fashioned but I've always used POP3 as its reliable and use it on 6 accounts from 3 ISPs. Perhaps the message is telling you that you have the incorrect server name?

Cheers,

DV

When Virgin deleted our .net account on Outlook (don't ask), we found it impossible to get Outlook synced with an existing Gmail account. Fortunately we had a computer whizz who knew how to do it, but it required some code writing. I never understood the issue, but it may have been to do with security and 2 stage verification. Don't shoot me if you know better!

advertisement

Back