advertisement

Setting Up A Photo Website

kjb

Proof reading not always a strength
I'm not sure if this has been covered before: if so can someone post a link.

I'm thinking of setting up a website to help me curate and share my photography. I currently have a Tumblr account but that seems to increasingly work as a social media platform rather than a website.

Has anyone else here done so and, if so, what platform would you recommend. My IT skills are at a secure but quite basic level so I'd prefer to avoid any platform that needs coding etc.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

I'm thinking of doing exactly the same.
I used to have a Zenfolio website but let it lapse a few years ago, and am likely to set up another with them very soon.
My skills are very very basic but it wasn't hard to do last time and you get a free trial which I expect other sites offer too.
I read that Smugmug is better in some ways (unlimited storage was one reason) but have no experience of it or any others.

https://zenfolio.com/uk/

I’m sure Squarespace or WIX would be ideal. I’ve considered doing the same. Just keep it simple and be aware that you get nothing for free, as it were.

What did you decide in the end? @gintonic : do you have a Flickr Pro? I'd like to see a well-curated example of what Flickr Pro can do, seeing as I'm a Flickr Cooncil user who's largely abandoned the platform but still have my pages.

What did you decide in the end? @gintonic : do you have a Flickr Pro? I'd like to see a well-curated example of what Flickr Pro can do, seeing as I'm a Flickr Cooncil user who's largely abandoned the platform but still have my pages.

i am not sure this was intended for me? I decided to commit to Flickr in 2005! Perhaps it was meant for the OP?

i have been using Flickr pro for years for all my photos. I have nearly 14k photos on there. I use Albums to organise my photos. The most important thing is making sure descriptions are good, then the search works quite well. Sharing links to albums is easy....

IME curation is down to the user, not the system. For my purposes Flickr provides all the features i need.

Sorry, I did mean the OP in my first question and the second part was intended for you (since you suggested Flickr Pro). Do you have a link, I'd like to see what a mature Flickr Pro looks like. Personally, I'm trying to decide whether being part of a shared photo community (among many more talented folks) is better than making your own site and then having more control but equally a disproportionate effort to be 'noticed'....

We use Wix for our FHL and it’s been great (apart from it costing us an annual fee which has crept up).

our site:
https://nethergate.fiferiviera.com/

Wix photography templates:
https://www.wix.com/website/templates/html/photography

How does it work for you with the all-in-one platform? If, say you wanted to move your web site or domain-name to a different hosting service, would it be problematic? Who owns the domain name? The user or the platform?

I have a site of my own, built with the "Concrete 5" CMS (content management system). It's a bit clunky but I feel I have total control (which is important to me).
I'd like to make a new site for one of my hobbies and would like the simplicity of an all-in-one. However I worry about losing control of my creative output to the whims of mergers, price-hikes, fast practice etc.

How does it work for you with the all-in-one platform? If, say you wanted to move your web site or domain-name to a different hosting service, would it be problematic? Who owns the domain name? The user or the platform?

I have a site of my own, built with the "Concrete 5" CMS (content management system). It's a bit clunky but I feel I have total control (which is important to me).
I'd like to make a new site for one of my hobbies and would like the simplicity of an all-in-one. However I worry about losing control of my creative output to the whims of mergers, price-hikes, fast practice etc.
We own the domain name, though they will include one with the package we have (which we declined as we were migrating away from a previous, bespoke website (that I created and got fed up of maintaining). The big benefit of Wix and the like is that non-technical people can make updates and it generally just works. If we were to move we'd have to start again, I expect.

We own the domain name, though they will include one with the package we have (which we declined as we were migrating away from a previous, bespoke website (that I created and got fed up of maintaining). The big benefit of Wix and the like is that non-technical people can make updates and it generally just works. If we were to move we'd have to start again, I expect.
That's where I am. I got quite good at making it (Concrete 5) all work at the time, but I'd need to re-learn it to make a new site and frankly life is short and I don't know if I can be bovvered.

Its going to be a winter project so I'll update as I go.

As it is not going to be commercial I'll probably end of going for a "best price" deal but will compare notes with a few other photographer friends before I jump.

advertisement

Back