advertisement

Serge Gainsbourg's audio gear

hockman

pfm Member
Serge Gainsbourg's house in Paris left bank is now open to public. Looks like he was into hifi gear:

ftcms%3A3fb2bece-ebeb-495f-bf8f-9337a9172cc5

Is that a Transcriptor turntable (pic is too low resolution)? And a very early Philips CD player and lots of Macs! Also see another CD player on the lower right.

I don't know much about his music but what a personality! Will probably go visit when I get the chance.

Gale GT I think :oops:

It is really weird, it doesn’t look right for either a Gale (plinth is wrong) or a Transcriptors (platter is wrong). No idea what it is. Maybe a Transrotor of some description (German, related to Transcriptors/Michell, but still independent somehow)?

PS The cool round-dial tuner is a Sansui TU-777.

Serge Gainsbourg's house in Paris left bank is now open to public. Looks like he was into hifi gear:

Is that a Transcriptor turntable (pic is too low resolution)? And a very early Philips CD player and lots of Macs! Also see another CD player on the lower right.

I don't know much about his music but what a personality! Will probably go visit when I get the chance.
This was clearly what made him irresistible to generations of chanteuses.

If it

If it’s still there when I’m next in Paris, I will definitely go. Useful post.

I want one!

Yep, it joins Florian Schneider’s Micro Seiki on a list of turntables I want after seeing them in musicians’ 70s apartments. The 300 is apparently for how many were made, so erm, plenty for pfm.

More words and pics here: https://blog.cobrason.com/2019/12/serge-gainsbourg-hi-fi-audiophile/

gainsbourg-patrick-bertrand.jpg

IMF Transcription 300
Philips CD100
Sansui TU-777
Sony TC-850
McIntosh C 26 / MC 2505 (etc)
JBL L200 (‘Plus lourd que la belle Jane Birkin…’)

A+
Alex

He was very much the anglophile:-

- English wife

- Recorded in England

- Histoire de Melody Nelson was based in the exotic setting of Sunderland and featured a Rolls Royce.

- Serge owned a 1966 Triumph TR6 and generously bought a Mini Clubman estate for Jane.

...so I am surprised he didn't own Quad, Naim or Linn!

Yep, it joins Florian Schneider’s Micro Seiki on a list of turntables I want after seeing them in musicians’ 70s apartments. The 300 is apparently for how many were made, so erm, plenty for pfm.

More words and pics here: https://blog.cobrason.com/2019/12/serge-gainsbourg-hi-fi-audiophile/

gainsbourg-patrick-bertrand.jpg

IMF Transcription 300
Philips CD100
Sansui TU-777
Sony TC-850
McIntosh C 26 / MC 2505 (etc)
JBL L200 (‘Plus lourd que la belle Jane Birkin…’)

A+
Alex

Well, then I own one piece of the kit, the near cousin 4331B.

It's interesting he favored solid state over tubes for his Macs. How unusual.

I think I will also redecorate my home ala Gainsbourg i.e. 'boudoir' style.
:D

advertisement

Back