advertisement

Sennheiser options

Neil P

pfm Member
I'm considering a pair of decent second hand headphones, as I watch lots of films on my laptop. I currently use a £30 pair of Sennheiser and a £50 pair of bluetooth Sony, so sound quality wise the bar is set pretty low!

I've always hankered after the HD600 or their later descendants. I also like the idea of replaceable cables as it means i can upgrade, or have different lengths for desk use/stereo use/commuting (subject to sound leakage!).

So ... what are the Sennheiser options? How do the Hd600 and their descendants differ from each other?

Just out of interest how big is the gap that your ear fits into?

Are the pads easy to clean/replace?

Thanks

Soundwise they are the same, early ones were possibly better quality case and came with a carrying case. There are some in the classified here at the moment.

Thanks. I think there were 2 versions... The original had a marbled band. Was there any major difference between the 2 versions?

Depending on where you read, who you believe there are actually quite a few revisions across the years including a change to the drivers. When I went on a bit of a deep-dive after buying mine (marbled headband, presentation case etc) I learned they had a later variant if the driver which is identifiable by the colour of part of it. I very much doubt any of this matters in the slightest, though as ever you’ll always find people arguing any change is either better or worse.

Where do Sennheiser manufacture these days? I think my pair were made in Ireland, though I can’t be bothered digging them out to check.

Just out of interest how big is the gap that your ear fits into?

Are the pads easy to clean/replace?

I have the HD600 - and I take the largest hat size I can find ;)
They are the most comfortable headphones I have ever had (and I am getting on a bit...)
Everything you might need to replace is very easily achieved - including the headband.
The ear pads are simply 'click-out - click in' (a lot less hassle than some)
My first set lasted about 4 years.

These people are great for spares:
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/

If you go for a cable, choose the long one for the HD650, I found the one I bought more robust than the stock one that came with the HD600 (which I cut down to make two shorter ones).

The 600s and 650s are very similar, with pundits arguing their comparative merits; I have old 650s. These were supposed to be better with classical but I think that's a load of tosh. Certainly two of the most comfortable and sonically even-handed cans out there and which have stood the test of time. One small caveat, though, is that they're 300 ohms and do need/merit a decent can amp

I wouldn't choose any open backed headphones for what you want them for. Get some good quality Bluetooth noise cancelling ones such as momentum 4 or Sony xm5

Also consider HD58X Jubilee, the 'forgotten' brother of 6's. Slightly more bass, easier to drive, 150ohm.

I wouldn't choose any open backed headphones for what you want them for. Get some good quality Bluetooth noise cancelling ones such as momentum 4 or Sony xm5
+1 for the Sony's with a laptop compared to the HD600/50. And I'm a Sennheiser fanboy.

I wouldn't choose any open backed headphones for what you want them for.

Why not; surely a laptop is simply another music source and i.m.o. closed back cans are only for limiting extraneous noise. Open=backed have much more 'air' and to my mind, are more natural. Not sure why one would want noise cancelling cans unless you love listening to ' Sounds of Silence ' :D

Why not; surely a laptop is simply another music source and i.m.o. closed back cans are only for limiting extraneous noise. Open=backed have much more 'air' and to my mind, are more natural. Not sure why one would want noise cancelling cans unless you love listening to ' Sounds of Silence ' :D

The OP said "desk use/stereo use/commuting" and "I watch lots of films on my laptop". I don't think audiophile phones are are good fit for all of these requirements.

advertisement

Back