advertisement

Sennheiser headphone business sold!

Surprised by that - not the sale particularly, but that they made a loss in 2019, turnover of €250m. You would think that as one of (if not the) leading headphone brands for decades, they'd have decent margins.

They sold a lot through Massdrop, maybe some distributors or dealers felt f*cked by that ?

Competition are straight, most average people choose BT or use their iPhone HP which is included in that purchase.

It defeats me how a company like Sennheiser manages to lose money in one of the hottest markets in the world. The growth in headphone technology has been stratospheric so they must have really missed a trick.
Went round their factory in Ireland a couple of years back. No OEM business, which is where they probably went wrong. I like my 650s but don’t use them that much

I think they made a decision a couple of years ago not to sell through the high end audio stores.
I was after a pair of HD 800s and perhaps one of their amplifiers but was told that Sennheiser no longer supported sales through those channels. As I would not purchase with out audition Focal reaped the reward.

Isn't it mostly the wireless bluetooth sector that has seen most of the growth though? And perhaps the IEM market in Asia?

Good to see it was 2 brothers still running it. The buyer does look to have a similar mindset and let's face it most of us users of the headphones will soon if not already need quality hearing aids!
I still have my HD414s bought at Uni in the 70s 3rd or 4th set of foam earpieces, replacement lead but still working beautifully. The over the head band is a bit discoloured but hey what a testimony to a quality but affordable original product still supported with spares.
I also have a set of Sennheiser noise cancelling phones and a set of quality earbuds so I am a loyal customer in return.

advertisement

Back