advertisement

Sennheiser HD650 Gets Slayed

I've had my 650s for ages and still like them, although the cushions are almost flat now (which shows how much I've used them); I guess this affects the sound. I'd get new pads but can't figure out how to remove the old ones. Presumably a prising job but how to do it without damage?

My Focal Elears are not dissimilar in tonal presentation (which is why I went for these) but add more transparency/clarity to the mix, as well as a more defined bass and are just as comfy.

Recommendations for new pads and instructions would therefore be welcome.

I've had my 650s for ages and still like them, although the cushions are almost flat now (which shows how much I've used them); I guess this affects the sound. I'd get new pads but can't figure out how to remove the old ones. Presumably a prising job but how to do it without damage?

There's good youtube videos if you search for 'Installing new headphone pads on Beyerdynamic XY or Sennheiser XY'

In case of the Beyerdynamic 880s a hairdryer is used to make the pastic more flexible for installation, but it's a fiddly operation nontheless..
Not sure about Sennheisers, but youtube mostly gives a good clue on how to do it..

My Focal Elears are not dissimilar in tonal presentation (which is why I went for these) but add more transparency/clarity to the mix, as well as a more defined bass and are just as comfy.

Genuine Sennheiser replacement pads aren't cheap but are the only way to preserve the headphone's original tuning. Replacing them is simply a case of 'pulling' the old ones off and 'pressing' the new ones on. It can be daunting the first time you do it as you do need to put some welly into it. Just make sure you support the rear of the earcup EVENLY around the edges and do not use the middle of the rear grille as leverage or you risk denting/deforming it!

I've done it a few times, I put my fingers carefully under the inner side of the pad and pull firmly until it clicks off, no trouble at all really. The new ones click on easily if correctly oriented putting pressure first on one side and then the other.

His findings reflect mine the first time I bought a pair and I sold them on. I then bought an OTL valve amp ,(little dot I think) and bought another pair and they were sublime. So they are very sensitive to the amp being used. Accounting also for weight and comfort they are my everyday pair.

advertisement

Back