advertisement

Sennheiser HD480

Vinny

pfm Member
I seldom use headphones, but the foam ear-pieces have fallen to bits on mine and I am horrified to see that spares are around £9. Mind you, I nearly fell over when I saw the price of new HD480s - they were certainly nowhere near that when I bought mine.

I have found what appear to be lookalikes for WAY less, but does anyone have experience of non-Sennheiser pads, or a source of the genuine article at more modest cost?

TIA

I still enjoy my old HD480 and have replaced the foam once since buying them new in the late 90s. If you have a look via Google images you'll notice that the pads are a precision fit via a snap-in ring, so the £9 asking price for original spares isn't all that outrageous.

BTW, your £9 is a bit of a deal compared to what was almost $30. delivered from the distributor over here.

funny - only yesterday i was looking up the availabilty of vintage HD420s - my very first 'good' headphones i bought circa 1980 ...

It isn't so funny if, like me, you've noticed that, blow a certain price point, the Sennheiser sound has long since de-evolved into the equivalent of Sony's 'Bass Extender' concept.

Cheers Craig - noted - I had dismantled them so appreciate how they go together - £9 will be "squandered" sometime soon.

My 480 classics were bought around 1990 for (pure educated guess) around £35.

advertisement

Back