advertisement

Sending speakers in Germany

unit

pfm Member
I've located a pair of speakers that I'd like to buy (Naim Ovator s400) but they are situated 6 hours drive from me here in Berlin, rather heavy, and the seller is not keen to courier them. Does anyone have experience with sending heavy, delicate things across Germany? Am I kidding myself?

Why do you suppose carriers within Germany are better or worse, on average, than anywhere else?

The answer is correct pacakaging, ideally wooden crates. Many will say on a pallet is also better, but that will generally cost a lot more.

I've located a pair of speakers that I'd like to buy (Naim Ovator s400) but they are situated 6 hours drive from me here in Berlin, rather heavy, and the seller is not keen to courier them. Does anyone have experience with sending heavy, delicate things across Germany? Am I kidding myself?
I don't have experience of shipping OS400s in Germany, but I would say that if they are in their original packaging they'll be fine. I had a pair of these, which were shipped from the UK to the US when I sold them and ASFAIK arrived without any problem.

Why do you suppose carriers within Germany are better or worse, on average, than anywhere else?

The answer is correct pacakaging, ideally wooden crates. Many will say on a pallet is also better, but that will generally cost a lot more.

I'm not really comparing them to couriers anywhere else. Just my experience with them here (especially. DHL) has not inspired a lot of confidence

There is good and bad in every race, and occupation. ;)

I have said it here before but I have shipped just one very heavy pair of speakers, from UK Midlands to Bordeaux via UPS. They were crated individually - the crates I made from 9mm shuttering ply and cost me about £120 and 5-8 hours to build in total (lined with 25mm expanded polystyrene sheet). The buyer was extremely pleased with the crates as well as the speakers. Each cate must have been around 30kg as I could only JUST lift them and feel safe doing so.

Most speakers original pacakaging are cardboard cartons - completely and utterly, totally, unsuitable for shipping anywhere via a third party, even 20 miles down the road. They are fine for the inside of crates, or under umpteen more layers of corrugated card/paper.

If original boxes available its possible in similar way they were send from UK factory.

Personally I would do the car drive and handle them myself, plus looking and maybe listening before paying..

Personally I would do the car drive and handle them myself, plus looking and maybe listening before paying..[/QUOTE]

Having driven down to Bavaria from Berlin to fetch a pair of speakers a couple of weeks ago (ca. 350km each way), I would second this. The roads were so clear that driving was a breeze and it's always comforting to confirm that they are in the described condition before purchase.

If you are able to drive and collect them sounds good- no stress about being manhandled etc.

Hope it works out.

Hello from Germany,
don't use DHL, DPD, Hermes, GLS or UPS for transporting speakers.
All those companies are using conveyor belt for transportation and have written in their rules that the box must be stable enough for a diagonal fall line of 80 cm, sometimes even more. Bigger speakers and their shipping boxes are not designed for such cases IMO.
Go for a logistic company like "Kühne und Nagel" and ship the speaker boxes on a pallet with the option "not stackable" and an insurance that covers the height of the retail price. That is the only secure way. I have sent some Sonus Faber Cremona M to Malaysia and big T+A TB 160 speakers in Germany both as described and everything went well.

Make the drive.

Hi Unit, if you are a bit patient, I could give you a contact to a little transport agency near Berlin, which will take your speakers safely to Berlin. This agency is experienced and knows to take care of our expensive boxes. But it will take a little time around a week or so.Not expensive.

advertisement

Back