advertisement

Semi-pro High Fi

herb

brain's right hemisphere
My rather final system is flat earth - Naim CDX2.2/ATC SIA150.2/Harbeth C7ES3. Some pro and some HiFi. I have been over 50years to brand new Garrard/Quad amp and ESL57s and a more extreme LP12/Exposure/MA real flat earth system. I liked both. Interconnects are Mogami mic cables rather obviously given the system, which I do love.

Money is not an issue so possibly in the future should I go for active pro speakers, which seem attractive? Heavy speakers are a serious issue at my age though. Low volume level performance is also important. I know some like Tannoy theatre speakers and B and O DSP statements!

Not sure about the pro bit but if moving heavy stuff about is an issue, I'd definitely take a strong look at something with digital room correction! The B&O Lab 90 is one of the very best speakers I've ever heard, btw. Shahinian has long been my choice although I don't have the budget for Diapasons. But, if cost were no object, I'd be very seriously considering the B&Os. There's a few dealers who carry a demo pair and I'm sure a home demo could be arranged.

Thanks the B&Os look great but at 137kg each I suspect my wooden floor may object. No doubt Beobloke would advise. Shahinians are an interesting thought and the ATC would probably suit with a flat earth Naim vibe.

Just get active ATCs, they work really well with naim gear. A nice ATC pre-amp would be just the thing, they are about £2k.

ATC40 actives are about 35kg each so not huge.

I don't think ATCs are particularly strong at low levels, they prefer some volume up them in my experience to get dynamic.

Something big and more sensitive could be an option. I am not familiar with the Tannoys you mentioned but if big could be a good bet.

Otherwise JBL Everests if money and space is not a problemo, you would need to add amplifiers. Probably nothing too grand though.

I don't think ATCs are particularly strong at low levels, they prefer some volume up them in my experience to get dynamic.

Something big and more sensitive could be an option. I am not familiar with the Tannoys you mentioned but if big could be a good bet.

Otherwise JBL Everests if money and space is not a problemo, you would need to add amplifiers. Probably nothing too grand though.
That is not true. I have ATC actives & they are perfectly happy & coherent at 60-70db or lower.

That is not true. I have ATC actives & they are perfectly happy & coherent at 60-70db or lower.

But other speakers are way better at lower volumes, it is not an ATC strong point, albeit they have many other assets. If good low level listening is required, then look elsewhere IMO.

Just get active ATCs, they work really well with naim gear. A nice ATC pre-amp would be just the thing, they are about £2k.

ATC40 actives are about 35kg each so not huge.

Yes I love the ATC amp sound but would possibly go lighter passives

But other speakers are way better at lower volumes, it is not an ATC strong point, albeit they have many other assets. If good low level listening is required, then look elsewhere IMO.

Thanks, yes I think that the Harbeths are probably better at very low volumes.

Perhaps new Quad ESLs would suit but I remember how the 57s made early CDs sound like crisp packets. Shahinians look interesting.

Thanks the B&Os look great but at 137kg each I suspect my wooden floor may object. No doubt Beobloke would advise. Shahinians are an interesting thought and the ATC would probably suit with a flat earth Naim vibe.
The standard design load for a suspended floor in the UK is 150kg per sq m. On the basis that you are only going to stand one speaker in one place and you are not giong to have anything very heavy next to it, then a 137kg speaker can safely be put on a suspended floor. In fact you could put one on every sq metre of the floor without risk.

Says who?

I don’t listen loud, they sound way better at low volumes than other speakers I’ve owned.

Can only agree on the JBL Everest although I don’t personally like the look.
If you say money is not an issue, I would also have a look (or maybe I should say a listen) to these :

-Sonus Faber Cremona, the one with two woofers, one midrange and a tweeter, all from Scanspeak. These are the best I heard for low volume listening without compromising any frequency from top to bottom.

-Wilson Audio Sophia or something similar. A friend of mine has these and I still struggle to find something that sounds as good at either high or low volume.

Yes they do fit the requirements, though seem a bit complicated to fix low end issues which I do not get anyway with the Harbeths, any issues are with reflections

The cardioid distribution and flat off-axis response of both the D&D and Kii will go a long way toward ameliorating any reflection problems.

My rather final system is flat earth - Naim CDX2.2/ATC SIA150.2/Harbeth C7ES3. Some pro and some HiFi. I have been over 50years to brand new Garrard/Quad amp and ESL57s and a more extreme LP12/Exposure/MA real flat earth system. I liked both. Interconnects are Mogami mic cables rather obviously given the system, which I do love.

Money is not an issue so possibly in the future should I go for active pro speakers, which seem attractive? Heavy speakers are a serious issue at my age though. Low volume level performance is also important. I know some like Tannoy theatre speakers and B and O DSP statements!
I’m an ATC fanboy, but seeing as they’ve already been mentioned, and bearing in mind that the bigger ones are indeed heavy, have a look at the Neumann KH310s or perhaps the Neumann KH420s. Decidedly pro, active, neutral, lovely stereo, lighter and cheaper than many ATCs, lots of room tuning options, and also the possibility of adding one or more KH750 DSP subs.

I've had three pairs of ATCs since the late 90s; two passive (Tower 7s and current model 40s) and one active (50s). I never found low volume performance an issue in the range of rooms I've had the systems in. The passive 40s aren't too heavy at all and being relatively 'elongated' (compared to 50s on stands), they're not too hard to 'walk' around the room. With the amount of clout in your SIA150, you'll obviously have no problem driving them. The only reason I shifted my 40s on was that I was looking at a better way to drive them in a largeish room than I could with my NAP250, then a good pair of active 50s came up (which they never do in NZ), so I jumped in. If money was no object, I'd love a pair of 100s!

I have read this comment several times before and it intrigues me. Could you say what it is that you experience which makes other speakers way better at low volumes?

Compared to my current JBLs with large 14" LF drivers as well as 3 other drivers, the two pairs of ATC I have owned for many years and a neighbour also has a pair could not match the low end bass response at low volumes. Although, I think the bigger pairs fair better.

Thin walled BBC designs (I tried Spendor BC1) and also Quad ESL 57s both offered a better listening experience, more balanced across the frequencies and therefore retaining more of the music to keep you interested when turned down. I had either 20s or 35s in the same room at the time, the ATCs just sounded flat and boring at the same volume. Of course, neither of the two British designs play loud, which is what the ATC excel at and are designed to do for long periods without fatigue.

The bass is generally very dry on ATC, because they are highly dampened I expect and many are not ported. I guess this is the reason, but I am not a speaker designer. So its quick and not over emphasised, this probably has much to do with it I reckon. The heavy drivers in a sealed box too, they need power to move them and just feel a bit lethargic when not cranked a little.

ATCs are incredible speakers, but not perfect. I would love a pair of active 50s one day, although that said, i have since found other amps to sound more natural, but that's another story :eek:.

Hi,

+1 for Shahinian, they are worth a listen if you can, they sound good at all levels and with different types of music.

Cheers

John

advertisement

Back