advertisement

selling on *bay - urgent advice needed

bugbear

pfm Member
If anyone has experience with selling valve era gear to China, could they please private message me?

I'm in the middle of something "complicated" and would very much appreciate advice from someone more knowledgeable.

Only sell outside the UK using the Global Shipping Programme, comply with the Ebay system and pack it so you could stand on the box or it be dropped from the back of a truck and survive and you should be OK. If by 'complicated' you mean that you are not following the Ebay system then I don't think anyone here will be able to help.

Only sell outside the UK using the Global Shipping Programme, comply with the Ebay system and pack it so you could stand on the box or it be dropped from the back of a truck and survive and you should be OK. If by 'complicated' you mean that you are not following the Ebay system then I don't think anyone here will be able to help.
Agreed, never ever sell items abroad on Ebay without using the Global Shipping Programme. If the buyer doesn't agree then just walk away.

TS

The complication is that the selling price has gone far FAR higher than I can believe is right or plausible.

I set the auction to ONLY ship to the UK.

Many of the Chinese bidders seem to have friends (or agents) in the UK.

I will obviously be shipping with tracking, signature required, and insurance.

The complication is that the selling price has gone far FAR higher than I can believe is right or plausible.

If something's too good to be true...

Having “agents” in the UK has been used for years to bypass sellers location restrictions. Ebay not interested as long as they get their commission, good luck if the item gets lost or damaged and eBay refunds the buyer when the item is lost by an international courier with whom you have no contract!

Typically these companies understandably wait till they have a full containers worth of gear before shipping abroad, hopefully your box hadn’t been sitting on a warehouse floor for weeks till it gets loaded.

I’m sure like always we’ll get members experiences from both good and bad but ultimately the “far higher” price you got means nothing if the item arrives trashed or not at all!

Go with the GSP, (though I’ve never experienced it) to cover your butt!

Book the delivery using Ebays own courier services to get the amp from you to the buyers own shipping agent then you should be fine. If the buyer doesn't at least agree to this then WALK AWAY.

Be very aware that if the ebay global shipping agents decide for any reason your package doesnt meet there rules (what ever they may be) They will refund the buyer and you as the seller lose the item.it is not returned.

I have been on the buyers end of this twice where the item purchased was stolen by ebay shipping and I was refunded I know for a fact the seller never had the item returned to him.
The item in both cases was not something that broke any rules either for import or export.

Personally I will never sell to China or use ebay GLS to sell (which I cant to sell anyway as they dont offer it in Greece),buying of course you are ok if you bare in mind you might not get them item but will get your money back

It's ok selling stuff abroad, but when they want to return it for a small issue, you'll wish you hadn't.

From my own experience that was Italy and France.

I won't sell outside UK now.
No matter where.

Don't do it. You will not get any help from eBay or any of your money (or goods) back from eBay if things fo pear shaped. Not worth the hassle.

You’d loose the amps and end up with no money. And end up in a spiral of stress trying to get any cash back.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do though of course.

Items collected by third party or forwarded theoretically are excluded from ebay covering it but nasty ebay might still force you to accept return.

Exclusions and special coverage when the buyer doesn't receive an item​

Items collected by a third party on behalf of the buyerNot covered
The buyer arranged their own delivery method, such as a courier pickupNot covered
The buyer provided an invalid or incorrect address at checkoutNot covered
The item was sent to another address after original deliveryCovered:
  • The item was forwarded as part of an eBay programme such as:
Not covered:
  • The buyer used third-party freight forwarding or mail redirection

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Don't , ust don't, you'll loose the amps and have to repay the money. The crazy high bids are to suck you in.

That you're even considering this madness, does the buyer have 100% score and a history of buying expensive audio? If not walk away.

I would trust your instincts regarding the unusually high bids from Chinese buyers who just happen to have "agents" in the UK. If it doesn't feel right then stop the sale.

Before sending any valve gear via the Global Shipping Program, you should read this post on Tapeheads, which was posted a couple of years ago:

eBay Global Shipping Program Seizing Tubes! (sorry I can't post a link here but a search will find the post)

I don't like the Global Shipping Program. It's very expensive and, on the one occasion I used it when buying a rare chip from the USA (the seller would only send GSP), the delivery in the UK was handled (badly) by Yodel. Generally if a seller will only use GSP, I walk away.

One thing I have to watch out for, as a seller, is Ebay setting GSP as the shipping method on my account without notifying me. I bet this happens to a lot of sellers.

II don't like the Global Shipping Program. It's very expensive ....

One thing I have to watch out for, as a seller, is Ebay setting GSP as the shipping method on my account without notifying me. I bet this happens to a lot of sellers.

It's not expensive for the seller. In the UK, all I have to do is send to the eBay shipping centre at UK postage rate. Everything else is handled by eBay, including billing the buyer for postage.

I would have thought any seller would be pleased to be included in the GSP, but ....

It's very expensive for the buyer. That's why I avoid sellers using GSP if I'm buying.
As a seller I don't want to use GSP as I don't want to put potential buyers off and I think it's very underhand of Ebay to enroll sellers into the GSP without informing them first.

I have sold stuff to the Far East and to Australia. There is a high-demand for British hifi in the Far East, and sometimes you are fortunate in achieving a price way in excess of what you expect. I used the GSP with no negative issues.

advertisement

Back