Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

See through jet engine

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Snufkin, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

3. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I love this stuff!

4. Nero

Nero Don’t call me Bud

Awesome. I wish I had some of those tools in my workshop!

5. MJS

MJS Technical Tinkerer

You’d be mad or some kind of genius to strap a few of these to yourself. And a few weeks ago I met the guy that did.

Snufkin and Tony Lockhart like this.
  6. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Turn'n'Burn surely.. :)

MJS likes this.
  7. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Just like a 4-stroke, they have the four steps, rather than cycles, as they all happen simultaneously along one axis, rather than sequentially in seperate cylinders.

8. Tony Lockhart

Or, as a mate said at an interview in reply to a question about jet engines

“Suck, push, bang, blow, all in a straight line, all at the same time.”

He got the job.

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

The "bang" is a hangover from reciprocating engines which do produce series of explosions.
    Jet egines just have a very hot fire burning continuously (hopefully).

10. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

A bang is a fire with nowhere to go!

MUTTY1 likes this.
  11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

A bang is, probably most frequently, a violent evolution of a volume of gas with nowhere to go. You can get a hell of a bang by putting some dry ice into a sealed can or bottle, or just connect a sealed container to a compressor.
    There is no bang in a jet engine as there is ample opportunity for the gas to escape - through the turbine and beyond. The last thing you want in a jet engine, is a bang.

12. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

And the benefit (in aviation least) of not having to bear the penalty of having to carry around a heavy engine engine that generates no power for 75% of its working cycle :)

13. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Nice to see @Marchbanks having some fun in his spare time

PS, yes I know they're pulse jets, pedants.

TimF, Tony Lockhart and Snufkin like this.
  14. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Trent engines weigh in the ball-park of 10 tonnes each.

They are more than phenominally complicated today - I could find out the total weight of the rotors plus the essential stationary bits, but it won't be especially close to 10 tonnes.
    So far as effciency is concerned, modern high bypass turbofans only reached parity with piston engines as bypass ratios increased from the 1960/70s.

15. Tony Lockhart

Each engine in our Apaches weighs about 250kg dry, delivers max of 2400 shaft horsepower. And, touching wood, they’re very reliable. Makes petrol and Diesel engines look silly.

16. Tony Lockhart

He has been on my YouTube subscription list for a few months now. Cool dude.

matt j likes this.
  17. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Just short of 10,000 hp / tonne - that is some going.
    And running on kerosene :)

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  18. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Horses for courses - military engines above all else need a whole raft of things that get labelled as performance, but they have frighteningly short lives before overhaul is needed compared to both civil jets and also diesel engines. You would not look to plough a field using a thoroughbred, or go to sea using marine turbines for anything but emergency or hot pursuit.

Data online for the Apache engines suggest around 2000shp

19. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

he looks significantly younger

20. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I mean the link was tenuous at best, he is nowhere near as smartly turned out and cool looking as our own Marchbanks so it wasn't going to fool anyone.