advertisement

Second Viennese School recommendations

dan m

pfm Member
I heard Webern's "5 Movements" played last week and am now curious about the Second Viennese School. Looking through my collection, I don't think I have a single recording. Can those familiar with this school provide some recs on which pieces are representative and particular LP recordings I might want to look out for while flipping through the used racks? TIA, Dan

I'd go digital as there are some amazing bargains. This Boulez Schoenberg box is superb and a bargain. One also can get Boulez's Complete Webern for under a tenner! That only leaves Berg to worry about! My goto Berg album is a lovely old 1960s DG tulip pressing of Wozzeck like this one on eBay.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Thanks. The Boulez Schoenberg will be released on March 25, 2014 here for $30-, so I'll get that when it's available. 11 CDs!

Here's an audiophile war horse:

ff538bacd7a070ecef248110.L._SY300_.jpg

I'd second Stunsworth's recommendation of the Karajan lp set. The purists will probably demur, because he does somewhat romanticise the scores rather than point up their spiky modernity, but if you're coming new to this music it's a more user-friendly entry point just to get to know the pieces. After that you might be ready for Boulez's icy precision.

The Webern works for string quartet are these amzing little jewels, so those are also worth looking out for on DG vinyl...and may also be available on a Brilliant Classics cd set. If you can find the cd, there's also a fabulous Denon disc with Krivine conducting the Sinfonia Varsovia, which combines Wagner's Siegfried Idyll with Schonberg's Verklarte Nacht and R Strauss's Metamorphosen to powerful effect.

The Webern works for string quartet are these amzing little jewels, so those are also worth looking out for on DG vinyl...

2niqx5d.jpg

This Quartetto Italiano version on Philips is amazing. You can tell they ain't messing about from the cover photo! There's one on teh eBays here. Seems like it has been issued on CD but is now deleted (old Amazon link).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I think the viola player farted, and the cellist just noticed as the shutter opened.

advertisement

Back