advertisement

Second hand vinyl finds

I've been to that record fair before. It's only 10 mins walk from me. Forgot all about it today! Even if I don't find anything I love a good record fair. :(

I don’t usually buy that many 2nd hand records but I found this Archie Shepp Impulse! album in Newark recently. It’s a mid-60s RVG mono pressing and cost me £17. Condition of jacket and vinyl is probably EX/EX or better.

YYIGFP0.jpg

Invested 50p in the charity shop out of curiosity to see what this was.

It's a 6" disc from a Calibre 'Make Your Own Record' booth from the 1960s. It's obviously pretty beaten up and filthy dirty but does actually play!

The recording is of a young girl being encouraged (unsuccessfully!) to sing Ring A Ring A Roses to her Nana. After quite a bit of cajoling and grumbling ("well you've spent your money now...") the parents give up and the girl shouts "Hello Nana!" a few times as the recording goes into a lock groove.

Part charming, part chilling hauntology...

Here's an article about these booths.

pAO343I.jpg

It's a 6" disc from a Calibre 'Make Your Own Record' booth from the 1960s. It's obviously pretty beaten up and filthy dirty but does actually play!

The recording is of a young girl being encouraged (unsuccessfully!) to sing Ring A Ring A Roses to her Nana. After quite a bit of cajoling and grumbling ("well you've spent your money now...") the parents give up and the girl shouts "Hello Nana!" a few times as the recording goes into a lock groove.

pAO343I.jpg

I like finds like that.
Owner artwork on sleeves, dedications to Mother or a long lost sweetheart. Frequently a string of ‘I love (enter good-looking band member)’

I have also come across records were the best, most emotional love song on an album has a distinct scratch deliberately at the intro - severing any alliance with the song, never to be played again…

A thread to discuss especially good second hand vinyl finds.

I'll start off with this, found yesterday for a tenner. I'm prepared to bet the shop owner hadn't flipped it over and checked the back!

8102186331_d3f9d3dae5_o.jpg

The incredible tale of West End Girls, a letter from a pre-stardom Pet Shop Boy – and how it ended up in an Altrincham record shop

Its 39-year journey to a record shop in Greater Manchester is something of a mystery, but owner Trevor Morris said it had landed in his hands as part of an auction lot he had bought while buying stock for his new venture. Morris, who has only just opened the shop on Oxford Road ... said it had been sold to him with no mention of the historic pop memorabilia inside.
“I think it’s probably moved from record store to record store but nobody’s bothered to actually take the record out to look, so the letter has just been missed and has probably been inside the record for 39 years,” said Morris. “That’s the lesson for anyone in this game, don’t let anything fall through your hands that you haven’t looked inside!

Enjoyed this video of Mike In Groove gloating over the jazz haul he found in a neighbouring record store.

He's chuffed to bits with his $500 Miles Davis but I actually found some of the more obscure west coast stuff more interesting to see.

Amazing finds, but the writing on the sleeves would trigger the hell out of me! The only people allowed to write on album covers are the artists. That said I’d kill for a mint six-eye stereo Someday My Prince Will Come.

PS Mike certainly appears to have the best record collection I’ve ever seen or heard described from my perspective. Given the jazz content and how obsessive he is at selection I’d take it over say John Peel’s. I’d prune it hugely as I’m not a fan of multiple copies of albums, but it would still be an incredible collection. He joked in one video that he measured his DSOTM collection in linear feet (I’d just want a mint UK 1st press), plus he actively stockpiles things he considers undervalued, e.g. he apparently has a shed-load of original US copies of the first VU album etc. Here in the UK I’ve seen maybe three fairly tatty ones in my life, only one with an unpeeled banana. I get the impression Mike has sealed NOS copies! Just an astonishing collection. He is close to a mint first press of every Blue Note too.

I hope for his sake that it doesn't all go the way of Elvis or Buddy Holly (or even classical) by the time he needs a pension

That's indeed an incredible find. I think there are many other collectors out there who have incredible mint original jazz records but who, unlike Mike, do not talk about them. Often, they are really collectors in the sense of accumulating and curating a collection of sought after objects, to be owned and admired but less to be played and listened to.

In contrast to these collectors, I simply can't fathom spending that kind of money for records e.g. $500 for the Miles Cookin' even though it's a huge "bargain". Music for me is to be listened to and enjoyed and at that sort of price level, I'd settle for a later repress, reissue or the CD. I am just not that kind of collector and never have been.

I simply can't fathom spending that kind of money for records e.g. $500 for the Miles Cookin' even though it's a huge "bargain".

It's not something I have the first clue about either. £15 is about the most I can bring myself to spend on a secondhand record so I have no idea about the values of stuff like this. If I saw that Miles record in the rack for $500 I think it would just be a sharp intake of breath rather than recognising it as a terrific bargain!

I get why record dealers hone in this stuff though. The celebrated book dealer Rick Gekoski wrote that he realised one day 90% of his income came from the 10% or so rare and valuable books in his shop and the rest of his stock barely paid for the space it occupied. He switched to only carrying a small number of valuable editions and has never looked back. I doubt I'd find much to buy in his list : )

It's not something I have the first clue about either. £15 is about the most I can bring myself to spend on a secondhand record so I have no idea about the values of stuff like this. If I saw that Miles record in the rack for $500 I think it would just be a sharp intake of breath rather than recognising it as a terrific bargain!

Likewise I don’t buy at anything like that price. I like the hunt too much, my best stuff was all landed at way, way less that its value, literally pennies on the £. The covid & Tone Poet-era has conditioned me to spending more as it has normalised the idea of a £30+ record. I did do it on occasion before, e.g. I have a very nice collection of DCC, Classic Records, Alto etc audiophile vinyl from the ‘90s, much picked up at hi-fi shows, some from when Classic collapsed and were being sold cheap. I think them becoming some of my most valuable vinyl has recalibrated me to quite a degree.

My current buying is maybe more risky in that I’m buying a lot of very obscure new stuff straight from the artists on Bandcamp. Stuff limited to anything from 10 to 500 copies. None cheap as by the time shipping is added one seldom gets a record for less than £25 these days. As ever I’m taking a holistic view, some is already worth good money, others may end up forgotten £1 bin stuff, but I’m enjoying myself, discovering a lot of great new music and I’ll be amazed if I done come out well ahead over the long run. As ever I’m self-curating, if I don’t get on with something I hold onto it until it has long sold-out and then I can usually move it out through the shop at little or no loss.

...The celebrated book dealer Rick Gekoski wrote that he realised one day 90% of his income came from the 10% or so rare and valuable books in his shop and the rest of his stock barely paid for the space it occupied. He switched to only carrying a small number of valuable editions and has never looked back. I doubt I'd find much to buy in his list : )

I know his book Staying Up very well. I think he might be a friend of my Dad's, certainly an ex-colleague :)

pAO343I.jpg

Yes. I'm thinking of Pinkie's recorded message to his new, young bride at the finale of Graham Greene's Brighton Rock.

Not mine, but a US mate stumbled across a US first stereo press of Coltrane’s Blue Train in box of random classical albums an old geezer was hawking round a record fair last weekend. Paid $2 for it.

Only worth a quid each but I was happy to pick up these fun 7"s for 25p each today - one-sided Xmas singles from 1995 on Steve Lamacq's Deceptive label.

The Scarfo track (a Fun Boy Three cover!) is great!

W5efrQT.jpg

advertisement

Back