advertisement

Second hand vinyl finds

Tony L

Administrator
A thread to discuss especially good second hand vinyl finds.

I'll start off with this, found yesterday for a tenner. I'm prepared to bet the shop owner hadn't flipped it over and checked the back!

8102186331_d3f9d3dae5_o.jpg

A lovely early '60s US 'white fan' Atlantic stereo copy of The Modern Jazz Quartet's Pyramid album fully signed by all members on rear cover (Milt Jackson, Percy Heath, John Lewis and Connie Kay, the latter signing it twice for some reason). It's in great EX/EX shape throughout, and judging from a sticker on rear it was originally purchased from Lido Musique in Paris. A keeper for sure!

would you by any chance have a couple of tips for Cheltenham this afternoon

If only! My vinyl buying technique is very simple: do it often enough and every now and again something really nice pops up. I'll be interested to see what others here have found. There have been some great threads over on Steve Hoffman's site; some truly great stuff lurking all over the planet in bargain bins, car boots, junk shops etc. The things I've found in £1 bins etc over the years are just amazing! What's your best find?

Two spring to mind: First UK press of Close to the Edge by Yes bought for 50p sold for £130 on ebay, UK press of 'Laughing stock' by Talk Talk bought for 50p sold for £150 on ebay, money used to fund rare PT vinyl purchases, i luuurrrrvvv charity shops!

I bought a very nice copy of Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat" for £5 in a market stall / vinyl shop in Truro; according to Discogs this print is circa £45.

From Oxfam Records & Books in New Milton I found 3 copies of Ultravox "The Collection" all the same price, except one (the one I selected) was the rarer double lp edition with the 2nd lp full of 12" mixes. Not particularly valuable, but I was chuffed at the time.

A thread to discuss especially good second hand vinyl finds.

I'll start off with this, found yesterday for a tenner. I'm prepared to bet the shop owner hadn't flipped it over and checked the back!

8102186331_d3f9d3dae5_o.jpg

A lovely early '60s US 'white fan' Atlantic stereo copy of The Modern Jazz Quartet's Pyramid album fully signed by all members on rear cover (Milt Jackson, Percy Heath, John Lewis and Connie Kay, the latter signing it twice for some reason). It's in great EX/EX shape throughout, and judging from a sticker on rear it was originally purchased from Lido Musique in Paris. A keeper for sure!

Blimey, that is excellent.

Jack

I bought a very nice copy of Jennifer Warnes' "Famous Blue Raincoat" for £5 in a market stall / vinyl shop in Truro; according to Discogs this print is circa £45.

I picked one up for 50p the other week. I've already got one copy I bought back in 1989, so might have to get rid of the spare one ....
Also got a copy of Talk Talk Colour of Spring at the same time, also for 50p, so now got two copies of that as well ...:D

Kraftwerk- 'Kohoutek-Kometenmelodie' (German Philips 7" Pic sleeve) in near mint condition bought for around £7, sold for £340.

An Alto Analogue pressing of Nina Simone Sings The Blue in near mint condition for a couple of quid - it sounds amazing (and obviously is a great album).
The Blue Nile - I Love This Life 7" for a quid
God Within - Raincry for a quid
A couple of Bowie promo 12"s (Pallas, Athena and Fashion) for a quid each.

Apparently my mother-in-law just sold a Beatles Yesterday and Today butcher cover at her yard sale for the princely sum of fifty cents. So yes, there are bargains to be had out there.

An Alto Analogue pressing of Nina Simone Sings The Blue in near mint condition for a couple of quid - it sounds amazing (and obviously is a great album).
The Blue Nile - I Love This Life 7" for a quid
God Within - Raincry for a quid
A couple of Bowie promo 12"s (Pallas, Athena and Fashion) for a quid each.

Was The Blue Nile in a pic sleeve guey?

I bought mine from my local long since closed Virgin store (after hearing it on Kid Jensen) but it was in an RSO bag :(

Got a lovely copy of Paul Brady and Andy Irvine from Harpenden Cancer Research a few years back for a few quid. Only when I got it home did I realise it had been fully signed. Folk legends both.

Jonathan

PS Not my copy in the image. Just a picture I found via Google.

p4190782.jpg

Not a bargain find but I paid £90 for an absolutely mint copy of My Generation (UK Brunswick) from a record fair several years ago and sold it a couple of months later for £950.

Gaius' £8 Bryter Later is gut wrenching! Sadly there are no decent shops around here in deepest darkest Argyll so finding anything is nigh on impossible. The only two even half decent scores I've had lately are minty original pressings of the first Stone Roses album and Copper Blue by Sugar - £1 each.

I bought Kaleidoscope's Tangerine Dream from a Shude Hill £1 bin in the late 70s.

Sold it for £250 a few years ago.

On my first visit to the new Oxfam bookshop in Dundee, I spotted a small shelf of albums and right at the front was "Maya" by Banco De Gaia. A double album in vg condition for £7.99. Their lp's are like hens teeth, at least I've never seen one before.
NOT for re-sale:)

Picked up a Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs copy of the Charlie Daniels band album they did at a car boot sale for 50p once. I'm not normally a country fan but Devil Went Down to Georgia is a damned fine tune. Definitely worth the cost.

I haven't been to this particular record store for about a month and was surprised to come upon an Art Blakey album I was aware of but never seen before, it's called 'Buhaina's Delight'. It was a Vangelder Blue label Blue Note recorded in 1961. I also picked up a 1975 Japanese Riverside of Art Blakey 'Caravan', an album that is highly rated that I somehow never got around to finding a nice copy of. So two albums from one of my favorite jazz artist in one day. Cool cover too!

0000022839_350.jpg

advertisement

Back