advertisement

Second hand 555DR

linntroika

pfm Member
Hi
Contemplating upgrading my Txps to a 555dr ( for my CDS3), not too many about , wondering what sort of money would be required to purchase a 2nd hand 555dr or 555ps ( i know its roughly 3K for service + dr upgrade)
Thanks in advance for advice

A 555 DR normally goes for somewhere between 4 - 5k. If it’s 3k for a service it’s probably going to be better to buy a newer fully DR’ed version unless a non DR turns up for an absolute bargain.

IMO it is a great upgrade. I put one on an NDS and it was a real improvement.

Interesting, I sold one a few months ago and replaced on my NDS with dual Teddy XPS’s. I found the Teddy’s superior in sound and much quieter. My 555 buzzed like angry bee’s. And I trousered a few quid.

As an alternative, get in touch with Les at Avondale Audio. He's doing replacement modules for the XPS power supply, & I have it on very good authority they're quite excellent. An easy fit, and completely reversible. Les also offers a money-back guarantee.

The NDS was 'designed' for one or two Naim 555 power supplies. Others may correct me, but I thought the CDS3 was designed to be used with one (non-DR) Naim XPS? Are there reports that the Naim 555 is 'better' than the Naim XPS on the CDS3? If not, you might want to spend your money on a Nain XPS (non-DR or perhaps DR). Alternatively - perhaps take a punt on the new Teddy XPS Brundy cable (assuming you have the older version) to use on your TXPS

The NDS was 'designed' for one or two Naim 555 power supplies. Others may correct me, but I thought the CDS3 was designed to be used with one (non-DR) Naim XPS? Are there reports that the Naim 555 is 'better' than the Naim XPS on the CDS3? If not, you might want to spend your money on a Nain XPS (non-DR or perhaps DR). Alternatively - perhaps take a punt on the new Teddy XPS Brundy cable (assuming you have the older version) to use on your TXPS

The Naim 555 power supplies are a step-up from the XPS versions.

Unless the OP wants to stick with Naim, Avondale could upgrade the XPS regulators or perhaps look towards a Teddy Pardo XPS which is reportedly better than the Naim XPS. Selling a Naim XPS and replacing with a Teddy Pardo is probably cost neutral or better....

The 555PS was a huge improvement when I home dem'd it with a CDS2 in the mid-2000s. I bought one immediately. It was probably the best digital I've heard to date (although perhaps not for the faint hearted).

It isn't one of those more incremental Naim preamp PSU upgrades...

I know the 555dr is quite a lot of money even secondhand , however i am happy with the cd player and like the analogue in your face presentation that it delivers . Reading on the N forum there is mixed reviews , some saying the xps is more musical and others saying 555 is just more of everything . I had thought of going down a different route Hugo tt2 but for now i really like what the CDS3 does and if the 555dr is a marked improvement , happy to part with the funds within reason :D

advertisement

Back