advertisement

Spare Sean Jacobs DC3 advice

Thetiminator

Painfully virile
Just for any power supply experts out there. I have this DC3 that Sean built for me, I used it for my server that I no longer use.
Any advice on what to do with it? Would it be easy enough for Sean to convert to a power supply for the likes of a Dave, and then I can sell it on?

Cheers. TT

I have a DC3 with two 15v outputs, common ground, and one 12v output, I used mine with amptastic mini-1's and a Intel NUC as server.

I'm in a similar position to you.

Contact Sean. He is incredibly helpful and would no doubt amend the unit to suit whatever needs you are looking for.

WRT a Chord Dave PSU, you need three separate output rails for a Dave. I think yours just has one, so that would require a significant upgrade.

If the plan is just to convert it for selling on, my recommendation would be to get it converted to a 5v DC output. There are loads of popular devices out there that use a 5V DC supply that would benefit a decent PSU like one of Sean's. e.g Node, WiiM, Qutest etc.

That said, I believe Innuos use 12v supplies, so you could potentially advertise it as an upgrade PSU for a Zen or Pulse mini as is (just double check with Sean first though as 10A might be too high for Innuos).

(for what it's worth, I use a 5v DC3 with my Node and it is a phenomenal bit of kit. So much so that I've decided to invest in a DC4)

Contact Sean. He is incredibly helpful and would no doubt amend the unit to suit whatever needs you are looking for.

WRT a Chord Dave PSU, you need three separate output rails for a Dave. I think yours just has one, so that would require a significant upgrade.

If the plan is just to convert it for selling on, my recommendation would be to get it converted to a 5v DC output. There are loads of popular devices out there that use a 5V DC supply that would benefit a decent PSU like one of Sean's. e.g Node, WiiM, Qutest etc.

That said, I believe Innuos use 12v supplies, so you could potentially advertise it as an upgrade PSU for a Zen or Pulse mini as is (just double check with Sean first though as 10A might be too high for Innuos).

(for what it's worth, I use a 5v DC3 with my Node and it is a phenomenal bit of kit. So much so that I've decided to invest in a DC4)
Brilliant Karl thanks. That’s exactly the advice I needed….👍

Those massive Mundorf caps cost a fortune now. Is that a std build?

Very nice

Last edited:
Those massive Mundorf caps cost a fortune now. Is that a std build?

Very nice
Yeh well it’s a DC3 but just custom build for me…what kind of dosh are those caps these days?

Actually looking at the price of DC3’s this one maybe isn’t standard as it was way more than £1320. IIRC it was £2.5-£3k a few years ago….

Looks to +/- 12V. Is the current limit actually +/- 1amp? This PSU may be capable of powering a Le Monstre.. something to ponder/ ask Sean about

Looks to +/- 12V. Is the current limit actually +/- 1amp? This PSU may be capable of powering a Le Monstre.. something to ponder/ ask Sean about
Looking at the innards, the current delivery will be limited by one of two things
1. The rating of the diodes
2. The rating of the chassis fuse

Otherwise this could well be a high-current PS.

advertisement

Back