advertisement

Seaham Conservative Club wrestling 'death match' event probed by police

The 35-year-old East Durham-based promoter claimed the match, between wrestlers Ronnie Thatcher and Blizzard, "escalated" and the use of weapons happened without his prior knowledge.

"Things can sometimes not go to plan. Obviously there was a little bit more that went down," he said.
Footage taken during the event showed the two performers being cut with the gardening tool and having glass lighting tubes smashed over them

So the wrestlers just happened to grab hold of a handy strimmer, and remove lighting tubes from overhead fitments spontaneously?

It’s nothing particularly new in the wrestling world.

CZW, for example, were doing it years ago.

I blame Thatcher.

They haven’t really thought it through there though, have they? I mean, if it’s a fight to the death with garden things, I’d have gone for the pressure washer myself, and perhaps that quite big corkscrew thing for planting bulbs.

In a Conservative Club?

I can understand the allure of the implied scandal, but Conservative clubs are frequently just places with halls for hire for events. It's not like 'paups with strimmers at dawn' was an entertainment laid on for the local gentry.

I've been to family dos at the Chelmsley Wood 'Con club' - the family members involved couldn't give a fig about politics, it's just the nearest place with a license and a function room.

The CZW thing my mate showed me years ago was set up in a large shopping centre car park IIRC.

I can understand the allure of the implied scandal, but Conservative clubs are frequently just places with halls for hire for events. It's not like 'paups with strimmers at dawn' was an entertainment laid on for the local gentry.

I've been to family dos at the Chelmsley Wood 'Con club' - the family members involved couldn't give a fig about politics, it's just the nearest place with a license and a function room.

It was the same with the 'social club' attached to our local RC church. Packed out with thirsty Prods.

I blame Thatcher.

They haven’t really thought it through there though, have they? I mean, if it’s a fight to the death with garden things, I’d have gone for the pressure washer myself, and perhaps that quite big corkscrew thing for planting bulbs.
Or copies of Prince's Batman OST etc., a la Shaun of the Dead.

I'm very disappointed to open the thread and find that it was not the local Conservatives wrestling each other to death. Now that's something that should be positively encouraged. Boris vs Frosty. Priti Patel vs Suella Braverman. Redwood vs Rees Mogg. They could probably raise enough via PPV sales to fund the party to mid-century.

I'm more surprised than anything that Seaham even HAS a Conservative club. I know its (relatively) posh but it's no Seaburn of course. What ever happened to the red wall eh?

advertisement

Back