1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

SDS Soundeck feet anyone tried them

Discussion in 'audio' started by Rosie, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

I've been looking at SDS Soundeck constrained layer feet / metal plates that you put under speakers turntables etc. They are made of two layers of metal , steel? stuck together with a polymer adhesive . £52 for four .
    Custom design also sell their own version called Isolation acoustic plinths at £79.99 for four .
    I do use Custom designs i-rap as an upgrade to my custom design speaker stands ,the top plate under my splendor S3 speakers which worked very well .

Has anybody tried the footers under any electronics or a Turntable ?

Thanks

2. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Yes, l use the original SDS feet under my Gyrodec and they work very well indeed.:)

clap and Rosie like this.
  3. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

Thanks Tazan,

The SDS ones have a lot of mag reviews raving them ok HiFi Choice and they have sold many but they never get mentioned here .

Would you recomend them as good value ?

Tarzan likes this.
  4. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Yes, they are good VFM they are also used under my integrated amplifier too.:)

5. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

Okay then !

I'll try a set

Tarzan and clap like this.
  6. Theo

Theo pfm Member

I have them under my Trio L-07D, and they had a positive effect. I’m curious about the t/t mat too.

Rosie likes this.
  7. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

I've just placed a cheeky WTD ad in the classified area .

You never know

8. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

I use the plattermat thing on the Technics TT and got a couple of off cut sheets for under the speakers. The latter I did for the neighbours; they’re so good I have no bass at all.

Rosie likes this.
  9. hifi-dog

hifi-dog pfm Member

I’ve responded!

10. hski

hski pfm Member

I have the custom design ones which are thicker at 4mm or 4.5mm. These are an improvement over the SDS one which are 3mm only and the custom design ones have two different thicknesses to their steel ones, a 3 to 1 ratio of materials work best as well and i think they also could do a high end 6mm aluminium one as well.
    They work quite well, i initially used them ontop of large square walnut blocks 60mm by 60mm as they are 55*55mm and they are quite good but i recently purchased cardas wooden blocks in large and placed them on top of the plinths the other way round than with the walnut blocks. This method worked wonders for SQ as the cardas blocks are placed height wise with the narrow section next to the amps feet , i also fitten new metal with rubber circular ring feet under the amp so cannot say how much this latter method worked better than the previous method. Anyway the SQ is the best i've ever heard it and its true what they say about naim amps in that they work so much better on energy transference rather than decoupling or damping. This method is an absolute keeper for me and i also have a couple of other diy upgrades in mind as well so it can only get better.

Rosie likes this.
  11. Rosie

Rosie pfm Member

That made an interesting read , thank you . There has been a development at rosie towers ,hifi dog has sent me a set of SDS Soundeck plinths . Examining them first impressions were not great . They are metal squares about 3mm thick with a very slim 'whaffer thin' sheet of metal stuck on one side by what looks like a layer of adhesive foam . The plinths are very slightly compliant you can squeeze them and they compress slightly . There are four small Neoprene ? feet stuck to the other side again slightly compliant . Sooo I put the four plinths under the feet of my Rega Jupiter CD transport since it has squeegee feet and spun David Bowie Gemini Spacecraft from heathen . Oh boy thats good , lyrics much easyer to follow much less spashy top end and fantastic definition to Davids voice . I then played Bob Dylan's Rough and Rowdy Ways , a Birthday present from me to my wife . Bob is not my thing but I have grown do love this album, Mrs Rosie wants to know whats going on because she could hear the improvment .
    I did a A / B before and after with gemini Spacecraft and the just left them in place for Bob Dylan .

For the record the system support is Quadraspire STV mdf shelfs with Quadraspire Soundstage bamboo sub platforms under the CD transport and Dac . So thats SDS under component on top of wood platform not unlike hski 's original setup .

I also tried them under the Dac with little if any change . Going to try them under the LP12 tommorrow and will report back . Looks like the SDS plinths are staying though round ones would look better and I am now very inclined to try the the iRap from Custom design .