advertisement

Scratched lens

livingthedream

pfm Member
My daughters lens has got a scratch on it, is this going to cause issues and would you pay for the glass replacing?

Shes really careful and always puts the lense cap on but accidents happen

52850853081_6094c77002_c_d.jpg

That lens is available used from the likes of MPB for under £400. I doubt you’d replace the lens element for that price.

It was only a kit lens and was a good deal, I think it was about £100 more than the body only and came with the ef adapter.

Still be a shame if it wasn’t cost effective to repair a few month old lens

Front element scratches are not as big an issue as you would think (rear element is much worse). I'd fill the scratch with black paint to avoid any light being caught by it and try not to worry.

You'd be surprised how little that will affect the image quality. I bet it's effectively invisible compared to a non-scratched lens. Unless you perhaps stop down to f22.

FWIW I don't bother with screw-in filters. Lens hoods IMHO are generally a better idea.

The lens manufaturer spends a lot of development time in lens coatings, anti-flare, etc, puytting a flat piece of glass in front withy indeterminate coatings never seems like good idea.

Screw in UV/Clear filters have their place, for example on a windy beach where there is a lot of otential airbourne particles, but usually best left in a box.

IMO a hood is essential!

Might give you a bit of flare/haze shot contre-jour but I doubt a scratch that size will have any very noticeable effect.

You can put your finger in font of the lens and still take a good picture so it won't make any difference.

Pete

52853660746_e7c4b7708a_c_d.jpg

Thanks for all your replies, she’s just got home and we've taken a closer look and the so called scratch has wiped off, it certainly looked scratched though!

Couldn’t see the mark on any of the photos she’s taken

The dirty lens article was interesting

I will order some hoods this weekend for the three lenses she has, should I buy the canon ones or is there any aftermarket ones that are better?

52853660746_e7c4b7708a_c_d.jpg

Thanks for all your replies, she’s just got home and we've taken a closer look and the so called scratch has wiped off, it certainly looked scratched though!

Couldn’t see the mark on any of the photos she’s taken

The dirty lens article was interesting

I will order some hoods this weekend for the three lenses she has, should I buy the canon ones or is there any aftermarket ones that are better?

Aftermarket ones may not attach as tightly.
I've bough JJC hoods from Amazon but metal ones for fixed-focal lenses.

Hoods don’t improve pics, they keep light off, which can be good in avoiding flare. The best filters don’t degrade pics. Costly however.

advertisement

Back