advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a rake through here for ideas and potential policies behind independence and economic options:

https://commonweal.scot/

Just one think-tanks ideas on things but note that unlike current ideas among English politicians, the idea of fairness and building a resilient and agile economy not based on a single wealth creating area is quite central.

Good Morning All,

As Scotland only represents what, 8.8%, of the UK population do they matter nationally? As this may provoke a strong response in some quarters I would like to point out that we have lived up here for 20 years......

Regards

Richard

Good Morning All,

As Scotland only represents what, 8.8%, of the UK population do they matter nationally? As this may provoke a strong response in some quarters I would like to point out that we have lived up here for 20 years......

Regards

Richard
Majoritarian argument for independence here.

Any other minorities that don't matter nationally, would you say?

Ask it another way.

If Scotland has such a large deficit to the UK economy and is therefore of very little economic value, from the perspective of the rest of the UK, what is the incentive to keep it within the fold?

From a business perspective, a financially sound company would look to divest themselves of an asset that wasn't performing well financially; had little strategic value to the business and they had no plan/appetite to turn that asset around. They would welcome an approach from a management buy-out team or an alternative conglomerate who could see the value in that asset and were prepared to plan and invest to see the asset develop.

Please insert 'UK', 'Scotland', 'SNP' and 'Europe' wherever you see fit.

Good Morning All,

Regards

Richard
What do those two sentences even mean? Are you able to explain?

Ask it another way.

If Scotland has such a large deficit to the UK economy and is therefore of very little economic value, from the perspective of the rest of the UK, what is the incentive to keep it within the fold?

From a business perspective, a financially sound company would look to divest themselves of an asset that wasn't performing well financially; had little strategic value to the business and they had no plan/appetite to turn that asset around. They would welcome an approach from a management buy-out team or an alternative conglomerate who could see the value in that asset and were prepared to plan and invest to see the asset develop.

Please insert 'UK', 'Scotland', 'SNP' and 'Europe' wherever you see fit.
It’s nothing to do with economics, for me.

I’ve spent my life working alongside Scots, Welsh and Irish people, I’ve lived in Scotland. While there is patriotism, national pride and rivalry, in my experience there is a genuine affection for each other among swathes of people in all parts of the UK.

Maintaining the connection between all parts of the UK is the incentive for me.

The opinions and general dislike of the English apparent in a small number of the members here is sickening, tbh. However, I won’t slip into the mode of disliking Scots, or hoping they would scarper and have their independence. I hope they don’t get it, whether Scotland is of no economic value is neither here nor there.

Good Evening All,

I will have to put it bluntly, how much of the 91.2% of the population who reside outwith Scotland care about what happens to Scotland politically or otherwise.

Should the discussion be not so much about Scottish independence but rather does the rest of the UK want to keep it particularly if the argument is that it is costing them money?

Regards

Richard

Should 'the rest of the UK' not want to keep Scotland because it costs money do bear in mind that most of the UK costs money and very little of it makes the subsidies. That is why the fact that the UK contributes to the EU is irrelevant all the more so because it is the same in every other country. Why should London subsidise Rochdale? Wales, Norn Irn, Cornwall, North England, the list of subsidies is long. They voted for Brexit - London to remain so why should London subsidise anywhere when remain voting London has had it's EU benefits stripped away from it? This is one of the most divisive and upsetting ways the politician's lies have been used to divide us [taking us as being median or close to citizens]. Why don't we split into Scotland, Norn Irn, Wales, Little England North, Little England South and a City State of London? I'd be happy with that.

Again, please use examples.
Feeling paranoid? Again, discussing points properly will reduce the chances of you being misunderstood, disparaging posts and cartoons don’t create a good impression.

Let’s draw a line and start now with your case for Scottish independence, then we can move on to practicalities and specific issues. As we all know, those who want to make a change need to make a case for it.

Should the discussion be not so much about Scottish independence but rather does the rest of the UK want to keep it particularly if the argument is that it is costing them money?

If it takes this sort of racism to make independence happen then I'm all for it.

It’s the double bind that interests me- you’re a drain on us but you cant leave. Epitomised nicely in The Telegraph today,
“England must call Nicola Sturgeon's bluff - Scotland is doomed without the Union”.

There’s a reason for this and it’s nothing instrinsically to do with Scotland.

Last edited:
Brexiter calls for experts while dismissing possibility of referendum. Love it.
Assuming you refer to me since you quoted my post...

When you’re lost for facts you make stuff up. No surprise there.

it’s the double bind that interests me- you’re a drain on us but you cant leave. Epitomised nicely in The Telegraph today,
“England must call Nicola Sturgeon's bluff - Scotland is doomed without the Union”.

There’s a reason for this and it’s nothing instrinsically to do with Scotland.
Another morning and another missed opportunity to engage properly and post your case for independence. There’s a reason for this and it’s to do with there being no genuine case, unless an emotional one counts. I can’t imagine what that emotion may be though. Can you help me there, Hugh?

Surely the case for independence is that the majority of the good folks of Scotland desire the autonomy and sovereignty which comes with being a nation state. And for this prize they are prepared to endure some negative consequences such as a dip in the economy but for them it will be worth it and as grown ups it is their right to choose their future.

And when it’s all done they might even wave some flags accompanied by some carefully selected music. Of course Scottish nationalism is a thing of beauty, something to behold and sits in stark contrast to the racist gammon of the orrible English variety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back