advertisement

Scottish Politics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have a Labour peer and the Deputy Leader of the Scottish Labour Party crowing that BBC Scotland will no longer broadast Sturgeon's daily coronavirus briefings:

https://twitter.com/GeorgeFoulkes/status/1304094222870556672

Whether their lobbying contributed to this decision or not, I can't help wondering how this will play in Scotland, where Labour needs all the votes it can get.

And is it really a good idea to turn off public health messaging during a crisis which is about to get significantly worse?
Labour right absolutely committed to their Zero Seats by 2024 strategy.

Labour right absolutely committed to their Zero Seats by 2024 strategy.

It does seem a crazy approach to take as it definitely looks like they're saying that an update from a English Tory PM, about restrictions which may not be applicable in Scotland, is more important than seeing the update from a Scottish SNP First Minister giving the details that do actually apply in Scotland.

Labour do seem to have been keen to closely align themselves with the Tories on the major issues (e.g. Scottish independence, Brexit, Covid) in recent years.

It does seem a crazy approach to take as it definitely looks like they're saying that an update from a English Tory PM, about restrictions which may not be applicable in Scotland, is more important than seeing the update from a Scottish SNP First Minister giving the details that do actually apply in Scotland.

Labour do seem to have been keen to closely align themselves with the Tories on the major issues (e.g. Scottish independence, Brexit, Covid) in recent years.
The pattern's a bit more complicated when you consider the details: with Brexit they were keen not to repeat the mistakes of the Scottish referendum, and refused to appear on jollies with Cameron and the boys - the face of Toryism at the time. Of course given the determination of some to see Corbyn as chief gammon lexiter this brought its own problems.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1304709402503663616

The words "piss-up" and "brewery" spring to mind. Also, whither Starmer's calls for unity?

There's this gem too: Labour's only MP in Scotland, Ian Murray, very nearly joined Change UK last year, and even got as far as rehearsing his departure speech:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1304784502431125506

When asked about this at today's SEC meeting, Murray dismissed it out of hand, despite all the evidence. I'm sure his high-handedness is the key to winning back Scottish voters.

Labour is correct on two of those. A majority voted against Scottish independence as recently as 2014 and a majority voted in favour of leaving the EU in 2016.

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1304709402503663616

The words "piss-up" and "brewery" spring to mind. Also, whither Starmer's calls for unity?

There's this gem too: Labour's only MP in Scotland, Ian Murray, very nearly joined Change UK last year, and even got as far as rehearsing his departure speech:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1304784502431125506

When asked about this at today's SEC meeting, Murray dismissed it out of hand, despite all the evidence. I'm sure his high-handedness is the key to winning back Scottish voters.

I'm no fan of Richard Leonard but I'm glad that lot had no support.

We are better with Leonard in position. He and the linesman are going to help deliver independence. Having said that, Jackie Bailey is uniquely placed too- given her recent petition to BBC Scotland to halt Scottish Government/ NHS Scotland public Covid Briefings.

Pretty much where I stand. Leonard hasn't won Scottish voters over but that's an uphill struggle ever since Labour shared a platform with the Tories in the first indyref + the people trying to oust him are assholes. There appears to be a serious dearth of talent in the Scottish Labour Party.

We are better with Leonard in position. He and the linesman are going to help deliver independence. Having said that, Jackie Bailey is uniquely placed too- given her recent petition to BBC Scotland to halt Scottish Government/ NHS Scotland public Covid Briefings.

NHS Scotland, the future Scottish Health Service. Intrigued as to how ScotGov might pay for that once you have achieved your fabled independence, what with having to close the 9 billion pound (or is it £15bn?) budget deficit.

Oh, silly me, I said 'pounds'. Did I mean 78bn John O'Groats, and rising?

Catty sarcasm, not normally my thing. Must be that rather good Japanese Whisky talking.

Oh, bugger, gone and done it again!

NHS Scotland, the future Scottish Health Service. Intrigued as to how ScotGov might pay for that once you have achieved your fabled independence, what with having to close the 9 billion pound (or is it £15bn?) budget deficit.
Tax flows from all the financial institutions that will relocate there, post-EU accession talks.

Tax flows from all the financial institutions that will relocate there, post-EU accession talks.
Ah, so nothing actually in place right now. There is probably a dream list. We could have a game of spot the unicorn, or something.

You’re the expert on these things. Is there anything factual that shows how Scotland can be anything other than seriously damaged economically by breaking up the UK?

Given the contempt for international law shown by the ENP I am sure the EU will bend over backwards to accommodate Scotland.

Ah, so nothing actually in place right now. There is probably a dream list. We could have a game of spot the unicorn, or something.

You’re the expert on these things. Is there anything factual that shows how Scotland can be anything other than seriously damaged economically by breaking up the UK?
EV's question was specifically about what happens after Scottish independence. So not now, duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back