advertisement

Scottish Politics II

It took a couple of thousand posts before you got to admitting that. With regard to Brexit and Scotland I refer you to your response in #1306. I think I have posted often and detailed enough to outline what I think of Brexit. Ditto re Scottish independence.
Nope, it didn’t.

Your opinion of brexit is worth as much as the opinion of a non-Scot is worth on anything relating to Scotland. Apparently that is nothing.

Oh dear, that didn’t go too well, did it? Best to get on with the day job™,

32fk2gk.jpg

someone needs to tell him that as well as Darlington not being in Scotlandshire, he has no jurisdiction over health and education where we live. Byee!

32fk2gk.jpg

someone needs to tell him that as well as Darlington not being in Scotlandshire, he has no jurisdiction over health and education where we live. Byee!
I think his point is just that, he needs to work with Sturgeon on those areas as she has control, unlike Truss who won't.

Liz 'surgical' Truss says "no 2nd Scottish indy ref on my watch."
Nicola can easily wait until October.
Held in Truss will be her forth Prime Minister while she’s been in office. I’m sure she’ll want to add a Labour one to her collection.

I think his point is just that, he needs to work with Sturgeon on those areas as she has control, unlike Truss who won't.

It just such a shame that he won’t get to. Hope things work out for him in the future.

A vote of no competence?
Mary Elizabeth is facing the mother of all political and economic battles and something tells me her conference medal for inconspicuous gallantry in the Cheese Wars will do little to equip her for her appointment with destiny. She will of course put on the right wing boot of Tory repression and she’s already signalling to the blue rinsed howlers that she’s one for cracking down on the infiltrators, the campaigning lawyers and the Woke. The whiffy old hangers and floggers are going to be peeing themselves with excitement at the party conference in October…while Britain burns.

hMvIjGc.jpg

it’ll be a wake up call.

Mary Elizabeth is facing the mother of all political and economic battles and something tells me her conference medal for gallantry in the Cheese Wars will do little to equip her for her appointment with destiny. She will of course put on the right wing boot of Tory repression and she’s already signalling to the blue rinsed howlers that she’s one for cracking down on the infiltrators, the campaigning lawyers and the Woke. The whiffy old hangers and floggers are going to be peeing themselves with excitement at the party conference in October…while Britain burns.

hMvIjGc.jpg

it’ll be a wake up call.

To be fair voluntary entry into a coma would be my natural reaction to a speech by IDS or Loathsome.

My old man and his best friend made a hiking trip to the Netherlands in the late 1940's. He was sternly warned by all concerned not to make the trip because mainland Europe was in a state of post-war chaos and anarchy with starvation rife. "They are still eating cats and dogs over there!" he was told. They went anyway, taking rucksacks bulging with tinned food.

When they arrived in Holland, they were surprised to find a healthy, well-fed, vigorous, tall and fit population in a civilised, well-ordered society. They quickly ditched the tinned food for fresh eggs, ham, cheese and vegetables. Also ditched their pre-conceptions that G.B. was the only place in the world worth living in.

All this "Sturgeon has destroyed Scotland...", "look at the terrible SNP record..." nonsense that people are swallowing has exactly the same flavour.

32fk2gk.jpg

Just to be clear. Gazing upwards at the glorious future, with the soft-focus national flag as a backdrop is not in any way "nationalist". That belongs solely to Sturgeon.

@wulbert what is nationalism? At the far ends of the spectrum the nationalsim of Russia and East Timor are mostly different.

I tell you honestly. I no longer know, or care. It's supposed to be "bad", I know that. It just irks me that a group of people who are usually photographed and filmed with flags in the background and perpetually invoke Great Britain's innate superiority and World-Beating-ness accuse their political enemies of "nationalism" whilst they are waist deep in their own nationalist fantasy.

I would like Scotland to be a nation that rules itself. So I am a nationalist too. WTFDIK

Scottish and East Timorese nationalism are close together on the spectrum.
Similar core issues ie relatively small country suffering democratic deficit, domination by a much larger partner, etc.

Remember the hilarious pitch to Ireland by the Brexit faction of the Tory Party? Calling on Ireland to leave the EU along with Britain and be best friends…..just like the old days.

John Humphrys (channeling Barry Humphries) on R4, back in the day:

“There has to be an argument, doesn’t there, that says instead of Dublin telling this country that we have to stay in the single market etc within the customs union, why doesn’t Dublin, why doesn’t the Republic of Ireland, leave the EU and throw in their lot with this country?”

….you could hear the guffaws across the Irish Sea.

advertisement

Back