advertisement

Scottish Politics II

Of course not - and when the Scots do successfully apply for EU membership, the perfectly capable Tory politicians can sort out the land border issues to everyone's immense satisfaction

- just like they have with NI :confused::D
The tories won’t be on the hook for that. Scotland want the border so it’s for the SNP to work it out. Perhaps the rUK won’t make it as easy as it should be after years of trade. :D

You know how NI is a having companies from the rest of the uk relocate there to get EU access, and generally the country is doing really well economically due to having no border with the EU, to the extent that the tories are prepared to sacrifice the Good Friday Agreement to scupper it?

I wonder what might happen to a Scotland that rejoined the E U?

By the time it happens I’ll probably be living in Scotland so I’ll let you know first hand.

The tories won’t be on the hook for that. Scotland want the border so it’s for the SNP to work it out.

As if - there is zero chance a UK Gov would permit a 'hands-off' approach to any border settlement ... and they will make damn sure that it's a totally f*cked arrangement to the detriment of the Scots.

Evidence or it didn't happen.
I’m not really keen on searching in previous posts and creating a huge compilation, that’s an odd behaviour practised by others. I daresay you’ve missed that too. Not my problem. If you’ve missed it, you’ve missed it.

I’m not really keen on searching in previous posts and creating a huge compilation, that’s an odd behaviour practised by others. I daresay you’ve missed that too. Not my problem. If you’ve missed it, you’ve missed it.

Didn't happen, thought so.

And therein lies the rub ... the Tories know all they have to do is sit on their hands and say 'No' repeatedly and wait until it's clear to all that the SNP can't deliver a 'legal' outcome.

I'm not so sure it works as a long-term strategy. If support for independence was polling consistently above 50% it would not be a good look to continually "just say No!" It would a a tacit admission that the Union is not a consensual one, but instead a form of "capture". Internationally, it would not play well and would go against UN principles of the right of all peoples to self-determination.

Hopefully Truss will do her bit to push support for Scotland's self rule higher.

Reactions: PsB
You know how NI is a having companies from the rest of the uk relocate there to get EU access, and generally the country is doing really well economically due to having no border with the EU, to the extent that the tories are prepared to sacrifice the Good Friday Agreement to scupper it?

I wonder what might happen to a Scotland that rejoined the E U?

It's an interesting thought. Ireland's ferry traffic to and from the European continent grew rapidly and significantly post Brexit. The lorries simply bypassed the UK mainland and sailed around England's South coast to trade direct between EU countries. Scotland has ports on it's East Coast with long historical trade with the continent. Half of Fife is roofed with Dutch pan tiles. Maybe there could be a real "Brexit Bonus".

Last edited:
^

Yes, I know. However, I like consistency and it’s apparently down to the UK to sort out the border between NI and a member of the EU because the UK voted to leave the EU. It follows it should be down to Scotland to sort out the border between Scotland and the UK in the event Scotland votes to leave the UK and manages to meet the EU criteria for membership.

Isn't the problem with IRE/NI/rest of UK boarder due to agreement related buyers remorse?
If Scotland leaves UK the departure negotiations will be over before the EU ones start.

Well, I don't think Scotland will get a supermajority for breaking up the UK, so it's all moot anyway.

It's an interesting thought. Ireland's ferry traffic to and from the European continent grew rapidly and significantly post Brexit. The lorries simply bypassed the UK mainland and sailed around England's South coast to trade direct between EU countries. Scotland has ports on it's East Coast with long historical trade with the continent. Half of Fife is roofed with Dutch pan tiles. Maybe there could be a real "Brexit Bonus".
Of course Scottish govt is watching how Ireland reroutes its trade away from Britain and creates new sea routes to the EU. It’s manufacturing exports to the EU-pharma and biotech in particular-are booming. This is going to be a good model for us.
Edinburgh is rammed full with EU visitors again- it’s great to see after Covid and Brexit. We are going to have a brilliant Festival this year.

You haven’t been paying attention. I’ve said before ( a few times ) brexit is bad and I’ve have never said it is a good thing.

What is your interest in Scottish independence? We’re told regularly by one of the nationalists that what Scots want is nothing to do with people who are not Scottish or live in Scotland.

By the same token, what is your interest in brexit?

It took a couple of thousand posts before you got to admitting that. With regard to Brexit and Scotland I refer you to your response in #1306. I think I have posted often and detailed enough to outline what I think of Brexit. Ditto re Scottish independence.

I feel most sorry for the folk who supplied lengthy well considered responses only to find it was Flipper on the the other end of the phone.
Where’s Greenland?
It’s between Iceland and Canada
Where’s Greenland?
There it is on the map
No it isn’t.

Isn't the problem with IRE/NI/rest of UK boarder due to agreement related buyers remorse?
If Scotland leaves UK the departure negotiations will be over before the EU ones start.

Yes and if one put an ounce of thought into it the NI situation is unique but hey let's just post something silly and run away if asked probing questions.

Most countries have to police their border so any changes in customs arrangement etc will require controls. But in Brexit UK now with the Tory party saying just about anything about border responsibilities and pretending that it is all Johnny Foreigners problem it seems Brian is fully onboard. If a problem occurs don't fix it or take responsibility just point the finger and run. :rolleyes:

One of the funnier JRM recent announcements in a radio interview was the suggestion that there is no need to check any goods coming in from the EU as we know they are of a high enough standard :D. In a normal functioning democracy the men in white coats would have come years ago to take him away.

But this is the level of discourse that passes in interviews with Tory politicians now.

I feel most sorry for the folk who supplied lengthy well considered responses only to find it was Flipper on the the other end of the phone.
Where’s Greenland?
It’s between Iceland and Canada
Where’s Greenland?
There it is on the map
No it isn’t.

:D I predict another break for a few days to allow this tranche of posts to disappear before a circle of the gold fish bowl is completed and we are back to square one.
It works perfectly for the Tories.

advertisement

Back