advertisement

Scottish Independence - Court case lost

I forgot to mention the unelected bureaucrats at No. 10, that scum who refused to help Greece...

Mmmm, some aside. For what it's worth, 'the unelected bureaucrats' (?) at No.10 were not the cause of Greece's difficulties. For that you should refer to the unelected bureaucrats at the European Commission, and subsequently the unelected technocrats at the ECB and the IMF.

Oddly enough, we have Gordon Brown to thank for keeping the UK out of the Euro. Incidentally, he was elected.

Mmmm, some aside. For what it's worth, 'the unelected bureaucrats' (?) at No.10 were not the cause of Greece's difficulties. For that you should refer to the unelected bureaucrats at the European Commission, and subsequently the unelected technocrats at the ECB and the IMF.

Oddly enough, we have Gordon Brown to thank for keeping the UK out of the Euro. Incidentally, he was elected.

Oddly enough it was the elected bureaucrats at Maximos Mansion that were the cause of Greece's difficulties...

But 'By the start of 2010, French banks had lent the Greek government and banks $53.5 billion, German banks $36.8 billion and British banks $12 billion.'

So the UK Government would have happily supported a write-off? Or were they supporting the bailout, just not with British money? (cake-n-eat-it, etc.)

The relevance? Where I live has always been tory. So what? I’m talking about the UK, not about me, not about England and not about Scotland.

Most Scots don’t want out of the UK but most want rid of the tories. When the tories lose in 2024 I’m certain things will change, your chance to break up the UK will be gone even if it takes until the following GE after a term of non tory UK govt.

At a UK level we need to see the back of the tory party. Your priority is simply different to my own.
When you move, you’ll enjoy the benefits of SNP government locked in irrespective of your vote, not some Tory Lite future government you’re expecting

You will enjoy more GPs per head of population, shorter A&E waiting times, fairer pay for public service workers, a ban on no fault evictions (could be useful?), a private rental sector rent freeze, higher child payments, free prescriptions, not to mention your free bus passes and no university tuition fees.

None of that anti-immigrant rhetoric from government and no Tory MPs after the GE. You could end up paying higher income tax to fund all of the above. You will pay higher stamp duty if you’re buying a home though, still, you’ll know it’s going to those who deserve it.

Welcome to Scotland Brian.

RABJxNJ.png

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ing-difficulties-brexit-britain-a8498371.html

When you move, you’ll enjoy the benefits of SNP government locked in irrespective of your vote, not some Tory Lite future government you’re expecting

You will enjoy more GPs per head of population, shorter A&E waiting times, fairer pay for public service workers, a ban on no fault evictions (could be useful?), a private rental sector rent freeze, higher child payments, free prescriptions, not to mention your free bus passes and no university tuition fees.

None of that anti-immigrant rhetoric from government and no Tory MPs after the GE. You could end up paying higher income tax to fund all of the above. You will pay higher stamp duty if you’re buying a home though, still, you’ll know it’s going to those who deserve it.

Welcome to Scotland Brian.
And to think, you would move away from all of that good stuff and put up with living in horrible England just to be close to me. Well, I’m touched, close to tears even, I never realised you cared so much.

Oddly enough it was the elected bureaucrats at Maximos Mansion that were the cause of Greece's difficulties...

A simplification so profound as to be well within the bounds of complete delusion.

But 'By the start of 2010, French banks had lent the Greek government and banks $53.5 billion, German banks $36.8 billion and British banks $12 billion.'

So the UK Government would have happily supported a write-off? Or were they supporting the bailout, just not with British money? (cake-n-eat-it, etc.)

Are you suggesting that the UK taxpayer should have been expected to bail out (again) the banks and rescue them from their own failure to conduct proper diligence?

The Greek issue was a construct of EMU, a project in which neither the British government nor the British taxpayer and voter played any part (in fact profoundly objected to) and in which Greece itself was only implicated due to the EU's determination to bring the fount of Western civilisation into its grand project, a process that involved a great deal of looking the other way whilst Goldman microwaved the books on behalf of both parties.

The banks, incidentally, were the main, and arguably the only, beneficiaries of the Greek bailouts, from which they profited handsomely.

A simplification so profound as to be well within the bounds of complete delusion.

Are you suggesting that the UK taxpayer should have been expected to bail out (again) the banks and rescue them from their own failure to conduct proper diligence?

The Greek issue was a construct of EMU, a project in which neither the British government nor the British taxpayer and voter played any part (in fact profoundly objected to) and in which Greece itself was only implicated due to the EU's determination to bring the fount of Western civilisation into its grand project, a process that involved a great deal of looking the other way whilst Goldman microwaved the books on behalf of both parties.

The banks, incidentally, were the main, and arguably the only, beneficiaries of the Greek bailouts, from which they profited handsomely.

I agree agree with your last sentence. Portuguese tax-payers ended up buying at least three private banks during the crisis and are still paying for it.

But you did not reply to my question... Forget (your) theory for a moment: the Greek State owed big money to UK banks, should/did the UK Government of the time support a write-off?

You have not.

I know I'm letting you draw me down an utterly irrelevant bunny hole here, but to avoid the thread turning into the pfm Christmas panto, you presumably do think the British taxpayer should have supported a Greek write off by agreeing to bail out degenerate banks again.

Why?

I know I'm letting you draw me down an utterly irrelevant bunny hole here, but to avoid the thread turning into the pfm Christmas panto, you presumably do think the British taxpayer should have supported a Greek write off by agreeing to bail out degenerate banks again.

Why?
Bingo. Exploits the plight of the Greeks, accompanied by a deep commitment to hand-wringing strictly at a distance. You’ll be telling us next you’ve been doing your best shopping for yams this week.

Your ability to find the abstract is undimmed.

Greece, incidentally, was raised by tuga, not me. He claimed Scotland to be a vassal state, and made strange noises about the 'unelected scum' in No.10 failing to support Greece. Perhaps he was comparing Scotland's position in the UK to that of Greece within the EU. Are there, in your opinion, parallels?

Do we have the autopsy report from Darkest Ditchley yet? Apparently the flip charting rules were no one was allowed to write “rejoin” in answer to the burning question “how do we salvage Britain?”.

Why?

You haven't read my question or the question was not clear.

advertisement

Back