advertisement

Scott Walker Dies.

Tilt was my introduction to him and still one of those albums I know so well I can almost play it back in my brain ROM. RIP.

A great talent and a sad loss. I made it as far as Climate of Hunter, a great album and under appreciated in my opinion. Albums beyond that were beyond me although I like bits of Tilt. RIP Scott Engel

Julian Cope's 'Fire Fire Escape in the Sky' is a wonderful record that pays homage to Scott.
Its a really good compilation and a wonderful example of how a new artist (at the time) helped an older artist back into the lime light. I don't think it sold that well unfortunately but I was lucky enough to get a very good second hand copy 10 or 15 years ago.

Its a really good compilation and a wonderful example of how a new artist (at the time) helped an older artist back into the lime light. I don't think it sold that well unfortunately but I was lucky enough to get a very good second hand copy 10 or 15 years ago.

I bought it when it came out. A bit pricey these days.
Funnily enough I was looking at this in Fopp on Saturday. Picked up a copy today, a bargain, 5 cd's for £10. ( Scot 1,2,3,4 & 'Til the Band comes in' https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01H84SK52/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
RIP - so creative and restless.

I actually got into his music through Climate of Hunter, Tilt and The Drift then went backwards to the 60s stuff. Such a range but such consistent quality.

I love the acts that go from mainstream to experimental like Scott Walker, Talk Talk, David Sylvian. I hope the latter is taking it easy ...

A very good tribute on the Lauren Laverne show yesterday. His voice always reminds me of Sunday mornings, probably a legacy of R2 from the 80s

One of my favourite artists, Scott 1-4 have been on my turntable for the past 30 years!! Not much else catches the spirit of mid last century so well. Climate of hunter was another fave. For someone so fame shy, he certainly managed to cultivate a very attractive and complete persona. Me and all my friends wanted to be him!

While we were out shopping today, I popped into HMV and picked up the 5 classic albums CD box set; what a voice!

I thought I’d revisit ‘Tilt’ again, as it hasn’t been played for a long while.
‘Farmer in the City’ was always my favourite track, but there are some gems in there if you listen closely.
‘Bouncer see Bouncer’ has a hidden bass drum which comes to the fore and enhances the track.
Worth a second listen.
As some of the tracks I find ‘difficult’, I had missed how good ‘Patriot’ is.
‘Tilt’ has to be a close second to ‘Farmer in the City’ for me, with its clever use of words and phrasing.
‘Rosary’ always brings back to me Scott Walker’s brief appearance on Jools Holland’s show, when he had
a rather ‘haunted’ look.
Tilt is not an easy listen by any means, but certainly makes a change from SW’s more popular fare...

advertisement

Back