advertisement

Scott Walker Dies.

Scott Walker, experimental pop hero, dies aged 76
Death announced by label 4AD, who said he had ‘enriched the lives of thousands’
Ben Beaumont-Thomas

Scott Walker, one of the most innovative and enduring songwriters of the 20th century, has died aged 76.

The news was announced by his label, 4AD. “For half a century, the genius of the man born Noel Scott Engel has enriched the lives of thousands,” a statement read. The cause of death has not been announced.

Walker first came to fame in the mid-1960s in the group the Walker Brothers, before creating a string of acclaimed solo albums – Scott I to Scott IV – that are regarded as some of the most adventurous and boundary-pushing pop albums of the era.

He then moved further out to the periphery of the music scene, with an increasingly experimental run of albums, including 1995’s Tilt and 2006’s The Drift, which reflected on Mussolini’s mistress, Srebrenica and 9/11.

His most recent work was music composed for the Natalie Portman movie Vox Lux.

More to come…

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/25/scott-walker-experimental-pop-hero-dies-aged-76

RIP Scott.

Very sad news. Recording legend who always pushed the boundaries.

I preferred his more mainstream material.

Such a rich and resonant voice. A poet too..
RIP

What a shame. I went to a Scott Walker Revisited night at The Albert Hall. It was part of the Proms in 2017 and we were told Scott was somewhere in the building.

John Grant and Jarvis Cocker were among the singers involved. Susanne Sundfør and Richard Hawley also took part. The songs were taken from his four self-titled albums and the music was provided by the Heritage Orchestra. It was a moving evening.

Apparently Scott died from a massive stroke. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore was the first time I can remember hearing him. It wasn't Scott's song, but his vocal stamp was all over it.

Also below is the first part of the BBC's Scott Revisited Proms show. What a fantastic singer and lyricist he was.

Jack

Last edited:
Mikael Åkerfeldt (Opeth) Is gonna feel pretty low this week.

Scott Walker was one of his main vocalist influences, (Clean Vocals)

Also SW inspired many other artists.

E.g. A greater Walker/Bowie vocal-style pastiche, I do not know.

THIS IS WORTH 3mins of your time

Profound shock when I heard the news this morning, and I felt for his family.
I experienced a sudden family death in 2005 and nothing prepares you.
I’ve recently watched the DVD ‘30th Century Man’ and I’m about halfway through the book ‘The Curious Life and Work of Scott Walker’, so he’s been on my mind.
Never a Walker Brothers fan, I preferred his later work like Scott 2. ‘Joanna’ was probably my favourite song, but many of the others remain memorable.
I did buy ‘Tilt’, but found much of the music impenetrable.
Didn’t bother with any of the later albums.
A sad loss to the world, that unique Scott Walker voice...

Julian Cope, Ian McCulloch, Ian McNab...that whole Liverpool scene.
And many more as they say.

Agreed.

Very few if any other Black Metal Band vocalists though.

To preserve MAs voice box, they (Opeth) have mellowed out into prog rock with a light sprinkling of BM for live gigs.

Profound shock when I heard the news this morning, and I felt for his family.
I experienced a sudden family death in 2005 and nothing prepares you.
I’ve recently watched the DVD ‘30th Century Man’ and I’m about halfway through the book ‘The Curious Life and Work of Scott Walker’, so he’s been on my mind.
Never a Walker Brothers fan, I preferred his later work like Scott 2. ‘Joanna’ was probably my favourite song, but many of the others remain memorable.
I did buy ‘Tilt’, but found much of the music impenetrable.
Didn’t bother with any of the later albums.
A sad loss to the world, that unique Scott Walker voice...

Yes, Tilt was a head scratch for me also.

advertisement

Back