advertisement

Scm40a Users

I use GAC 4/1 into my active 50s. It has a double braided shield, and is star quad with reasonable capacitance. It replaced some much more expensive QED stuff.

I bought from Pro Audio LA. Even with import taxes it was reasonable cost even for my 35 foot run.

If you want to read someone saying nice things about it (and similarly specified Mogami 2534 which is easy to get in the UK but which I've not tried myself) see https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45941#p723582.

What interconnects and mains cables do you use? Any point in going fancy??
I’ve got some 50ASLTs, and use Van Damme XKE microphone cable. designacables will make you up any length you want in a choice of 10 colours. “audiophile grade 4% silver solder” too! A 5m length for example will cost you £17.09, so you should get change out of £50 for any reasonable pair including postage. I very much doubt there is any need to pay any more. As for mains cables, they are supplied with mains cables. If you want longer or shorter then designacables or similar pro oriented companies will sell you some at a reasonable price.

https://www.designacable.com/studio...lr-cables-balanced-microphone-patch-lead.html

I've found replacing the standard mains cables with Naim Powerlines has made a massive difference on my Active 40's.

Linn Silver XLR interconnects and Naim stock power cables from Wireworld Matrix V2 power block to the 40A's. V2 is powered by Rega mains cable.

Belden 1800F from DAC to pre to 100ASLT's. No need for anything exotic on the power side either, they're on or they're not.

The XLR cables that ATC themselves can supply are made from Belden 8761 with (IIRC as I am not at home right now) Switchcraft connectors. I have a 5m pair. They sound perfectly fine to me (with SCM50asl classics). The change from updating my old 'speakers was substantial and, I suspect, much bigger than you might get from fancy cables. But whether or not to go there really depends on how you want to pursue the experimental element of the hobby. I spend much less time experimenting these days than I used to years ago.

The ATC XLR cables have a grey jacket and are slightly stiff. For aesthetic reasons I bought (exactly as per @AndyU) inexpensive but very well made cables using Van Damme XKE microphone cable and Neutrik connectors. They are softer and come in a number of jacket colours. I actually bought the starquad version rather than the normal single pair version. I have no obvious RFI problems but to pander to my audiophilia nervosa starquad has better interference rejection as long as the source driving them has low enough impedance to drive starquad's extra capacitance without losing treble. That's fine for my source but YMMV.

Mains leads are standard, just as ATC supply, but longer than ATC's to connect to my RF filtered power block (a Tacima CS947). Again, I have no evidence of RFI in practice but it's an inexpensive precaution for a 6-way mains block needed anyway for the audio kit (and I had the block anyway when the ATCs arrived).

I used the power cables supplied for my SCM40a and also now for my SCM150ASL.

We had an informal listening session at my house with my SCM40a and various XLR cables.

Van Damme Pro Grade Classic XKE Install 268-001-000
Canare L-E46s
Van Damme Tour Grade Classic Ultra Pure Silver Plated 268-026-000
Silver Mogwai
Oyaide FTVS-910
Mogami 2549
Belden 1800F
Mogami 2534
Beldon 8760 Equivalent

There were some similarities between some of the cables but generally there were clearly audible differences. We all found the star quad cables slightly brighter than the twisted pair types.

I am happy to do my own soldering so by and large this was a cheap exercise (except for the Oyaude FTVS-910 which I had already). The group had a clear preference for the Oyaide cables but I have now settled (for the moment ;)) on the Beldon 8760 Equivalent. All the cables were 2m length and the source was a Chord Blu2 Mscaler and Dave DAC going direct to the SCM40a by the XLR cables.

Just an edit to say that I have previously had Chord Company Sarum Super Aray XLR but I sold them to help fund an amplifier purchase!

I use Chord Shawline XLR-XLR's, as my dealer gave me a great deal on them.
I made up some Mains Cables from MCRU parts, purely to get them at the right length for neatness etc.
I have 2 remote control pwr plugs, as one of the very few negatives I have about the SCM40a's is that if left powered up the amps get pretty warm, so I assume they use a bit of juice. The on/off button is inconveniently placed down low & on the back panel.

The ATC XLR cables have a grey jacket and are slightly stiff. For aesthetic reasons I bought (exactly as per @AndyU) inexpensive but very well made cables using Van Damme XKE microphone cable and Neutrik connectors. They are softer and come in a number of jacket colours. I actually bought the starquad version rather than the normal single pair version. I have no obvious RFI problems but to pander to my audiophilia nervosa starquad has better interference rejection as long as the source driving them has low enough impedance to drive starquad's extra capacitance without losing treble. That's fine for my source but YMMV.

Mains leads are standard, just as ATC supply, but longer than ATC's to connect to my RF filtered power block (a Tacima CS947). Again, I have no evidence of RFI in practice but it's an inexpensive precaution for a 6-way mains block needed anyway for the audio kit (and I had the block anyway when the ATCs arrived).

Yep, I found ATCs cable perfectly fine, but stiff. The XKE cable is supple, and it’s nice that it comes in 10 colours. So far I have avoided doing listening tests comparing the colours, but the brown is least conspicuous on my floor. I sometimes wonder about mains voodoo, but would a block like the Tacima stop bad RF karma going between products connected to it? Ie if you plug speakers and say a DAC into it, does it stop any (most likely imagined) RF going from the DAC to the speakers, or does it only filter stuff coming into it?

… I sometimes wonder about mains voodoo, but would a block like the Tacima stop bad RF karma going between products connected to it? Ie if you plug speakers and say a DAC into it, does it stop any (most likely imagined) RF going from the DAC to the speakers, or does it only filter stuff coming into it?
Having just been home I checked and I found I have been actually running the system without the mains RF filter block for some months without ill effect.

I think that what a filter does is too dependent on the precise situation for me to answer. Curiosity about claims regarding mains power got the better of me some years ago and I just experimented and did some circuit simulations too. I found no effects to worry about. I am sure I didn't cover all configurations but nevertheless I no longer worry about special mains products for audio. Others may disagree, of course.

Thanks for the reply’s chaps. Anyone use any Mogami ? the only issue i might have with the bolden, is in the short term i will have to roll up the cable when not listening as it will have to run over the carpet till we get the flooring replaced. So something flexible would suit better. The issue i have with the Van Damme is - i just keep thinking of a certain actor!!

So when you say that the bolden is stiff how stiff?
Regards

Thanks for the reply’s chaps. Anyone use any Mogami ? the only issue i might have with the bolden, is in the short term i will have to roll up the cable when not listening as it will have to run over the carpet till we get the flooring replaced. So something flexible would suit better. The issue i have with the Van Damme is - i just keep thinking of a certain actor!!

So when you say that the bolden is stiff how stiff?
Regards
I’ve used Mogami too when I used a different supplier, I would need to be really sad to have compared it to the Van Damme I’m using now. Music seems to come out of my speakers just fine with either. Both cables drape nicely and can be snuck along skirtings or wherever. The Belden is just somewhat stiffer, it doesn’t really want to roll up in a loop tighter than say a foot, though it will. Cables actually have a minimum bending radius - I think the Belden is 1.75” so you’ll be fine as long as you don’t bend it hard round corners, but it is just less supple. It won’t fall as easily down the back of your equipment shelves.

Hi Andy, thanks for the info. Sounds like the bolden could be a bit problematic in my current domestic circumstances. Will check out VD vs Mogami for cost.

advertisement

Back