advertisement

Schiit stack has arrived

Robert

Tapehead
I've been using headphones a lot lately and recently bought a couple of pairs of Beyers, 990pro 250 Ohm and a special edition 880 600 Ohm. These join my Grado SR80 as the main hi-fi listening cans. For editing I use closed back ATH M40X driven from the recording interface or a Dragonfly connected to the PC.

I wanted something better for the main system listening than running from a padded power amp feed, so picked up these cute little boxes. I like the company, they source and build locally in the US and don't go in for the obscene, garish, over-built stuff that often passes for high end audio these days.

Both interesting units. The Magni headphone amp is a miniature discrete power amp capable of 2.5w into 16 Ohms, and about 400mw into 600 Ohm cans - so plenty for just about anything.
The Loki, well I just had to have this :)
A tiny analogue EQ box with a bypass. I've never been afraid of using EQ, well not since the flat earth thing died in the 90s.

These things are tiny but reassuringly heavy and well built. I might add the matching dac unit when the UK distributor has them back in stock.

Some photos for now. I'll comment on the performance in a day or two :)

20200125_142356 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20200125_142544 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20200125_142840 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20200125_142707 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20200125_142615 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

20200125_145956 by Rob Holt, on Flickr

I'd take cover Robert, very soon the ASR disciples will arrive to tell you just how sh!t the stack of Schiit you've just bought really is! :rolleyes:

May I ask about the 'Special Edition' DT880s? What is different about them vs the 'Premium Edition'? My DT880s are Premium Edition, I'd have preferred to buy the Pro version with stronger clamping force but they don't appear to make a Pro version in 600Ω.

I'd also be interested in your thoughts on the 880 vs 990?

Wouldn't normally correct spelling, but in this case it'd be helpful to have the correct spelling of the manufacturer's name in the thread title for the purposes of searching.

Interested to hear what you think of these units.

Wouldn't normally correct spelling, but in this case it'd be helpful to have the correct spelling of the manufacturer's name in the thread title for the purposes of searching.

Interested to hear what you think of these units.

Doh.....thanks - done!

I'd take cover Robert, very soon the ASR disciples will arrive to tell you just how sh!t the stack of Schiit you've just bought really is! :rolleyes:

May I ask about the 'Special Edition' DT880s? What is different about them vs the 'Premium Edition'? My DT880s are Premium Edition, I'd have preferred to buy the Pro version with stronger clamping force but they don't appear to make a Pro version in 600Ω.

I'd also be interested in your thoughts on the 880 vs 990?

So far as I can see they are an all black version of the domestic 880. There were a limited run direct from Beyer.
The clamping force is a bit lighter on the 880, though you can stretch the 990 to get the same effect.

Compared to the 990 they have a slightly flattened 'V' - in effect the upper mids are raised by a few dB relative the LF/HF.
Having removed the pads I can see how this us achieved, and it's dead easy to replicate on a 990.
The baffle of the Beyers consists of a stiff, porous dense cloth. This allows for controlled air leak from the rear of the driver.
The 880 uses a denser cloth weave, so reduces the air flow. The effect is slightly reduced bass, but it goes lower.
On the 990, the weave is more open so it actually performs more like a ported/vented loudspeaker - stronger mid/upper bass but faster roll-off.
The 880 also has a foam disc placed over the driver which reduces HF and also flattens peaking.

There may be other changes to the inside of the cup, but both models use the same driver (other than impedance if you choose a different version)

If you add a sheet of tissue to the baffle of the 990, and a foam disc, it sounds very like the 880 :)

Rob,

I’ve been running a Loki for several months now. I know EQ is anathema and evil and wrong, but it’s also excellent, occasionally necessary and peanuts relative to most things in hi-fi.

Joe

Very true Joe.

I'm liking this company. If I wasn't so committed to vintage audio I'd be looking at their pre and power amplifiers - still might :)

The Freya+ tube pre amp looks interesting with its switchable passive/buffered/tube-active options and relay based stepped volume control. all for $700. For the same cash you can have the power amp which will push 200w into 4 Ohms, or the Class A biased variant.

i'm not really bothered about cans. so what are you recording on all those tapes, :rolleyes:, and why has no one else asked the question, we all wanted to know,

i'm not really bothered about cans. so what are you recording on all those tapes, :rolleyes:, and why has no one else asked the question, we all wanted to know,

Haha...I have a large collection of vintage audio including tape decks. I bought hundreds of BASF chrome tapes a few years ago when prices were still low, before the recent massive price increases as these things get scarce.
There is a cupboard full of them - those are just the ones on show :)
Quite a few other brands also but BASF last the best IME.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I've also started listening to headphones a lot more these days.

Co-incidentally, I am also running a pair of ATH M40X and have been thinking about getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, so would also be interested in your view on how these differ.

Also, may I ask where you purchased them? Was it just direct from Schiit UK?

Lefty

I'll be interested to hear how you get on as I've also started listening to headphones a lot more these days.

Co-incidentally, I am also running a pair of ATH M40X and have been thinking about getting a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro, so would also be interested in your view on how these differ.

Also, may I ask where you purchased them? Was it just direct from Schiit UK?

Lefty

Yes direct from Schiit UK - it's actually a company called 'Electromod' according to the mail and invoices.
Very fast delivery and informative updates, I got then next day.
The stock levels seem quite low and things go in/out of stock quite often.
the Loki was the last one in stock and I bought it with Euro mains adaptor rather than wait - but it turned up the the UK plug.

ATM40X v DT990 - very different sound.
The AT is pretty neutral but with slightly thickened lower mids as usual with a closed back. But they isolate very well and are one of my favourite closed back cans.
The 990 is unashamedly 'hi-fi sound'- boosted lows and highs to give a huge, spacious sound. Great for large scale orchestral and naturally recorded small venue Jazz. You can really hear into a clean mix with these.
Not so great for spotlit, shiny vocals and dense, compressed rock.
If you want a more balanced Beyer, definitely go for the 880.

There may be other changes to the inside of the cup, but both models use the same driver (other than impedance if you choose a different version)
:)

What is your source for 880 and 990 using the same driver?
I haven't checked currently, but when first released over 30 years ago the 990 had a much lighter diaphragm which gave it electrostatic-like performance.
Several years ago when I last looked 880 and 990 were not using same driver.
I quoted in full the advertising sheet from Beyer some while back. I can type it out again.

'The DT990 was the top Beyer from the very start.
It has a diaphragm 40% lower mass than the DT880 which gives it almost electrostatic performance.'

Yes direct from Schiit UK - it's actually a company called 'Electromod' according to the mail and invoices.
Very fast delivery and informative updates, I got then next day.
The stock levels seem quite low and things go in/out of stock quite often.
the Loki was the last one in stock and I bought it with Euro mains adaptor rather than wait - but it turned up the the UK plug.

ATM40X v DT990 - very different sound.
The AT is pretty neutral but with slightly thickened lower mids as usual with a closed back. But they isolate very well and are one of my favourite closed back cans.
The 990 is unashamedly 'hi-fi sound'- boosted lows and highs to give a huge, spacious sound. Great for large scale orchestral and naturally recorded small venue Jazz. You can really hear into a clean mix with these.
Not so great for spotlit, shiny vocals and dense, compressed rock.
If you want a more balanced Beyer, definitely go for the 880.

Many thanks Robert - that's very useful info indeed. Interesting you say the M40x have thickened lower mids. I think I heard that with the standard pads, but I soon changed them out for Shure SRH840 pads for increased comfort (they sit around the ear rather than on it). This changed the sound a bit (I didn't A/B them but my initial impression was a slightly leaner sound with more 'air' - which works well for me).

Currently trying to figure out if I'll like the DT990 or 880. The only other recent references I have are a pair of Grado sr325e which I borrowed and hated. (They were wonderful for orchestral and acoustic instrumental music, but as soon as vocals or any aggressive sounding electric guitar came in, the 2Khz spike made them sound really 'fizzy'). I also have pair of recently bought Sony WH1000xm3, but they aren't really in the same league as the M40x. (The Sony's sound too thick and congested by comparison). My worry with the 880s is that they might be too warm, cosy and lifeless? I don't want something that's as thick as the Sony's or a fizzy as the Grados. Ideally something in between. Similar in balance to the M40x but just 'better'.

Lefty

Currently trying to figure out if I'll like the DT990 or 880. The only other recent references I have are a pair of Grado sr325e which I borrowed and hated. (They were wonderful for orchestral and acoustic instrumental music, but as soon as vocals or any aggressive sounding electric guitar came in, the 2Khz spike made them sound really 'fizzy'). I also have pair of recently bought Sony WH1000xm3, but they aren't really in the same league as the M40x. (The Sony's sound too thick and congested by comparison). My worry with the 880s is that they might be too warm, cosy and lifeless? I don't want something that's as thick as the Sony's or a fizzy as the Grados. Ideally something in between. Similar in balance to the M40x but just 'better'.
I had a pair of Grado SR80 and found the mids much too coarse/aggressive. I haven't heard the M40x or DT990 but I own the DT880 along with several other headphones and cosy/warm/lifeless is not how I would describe them.

I don't know if you are familiar with the Sennheiser HD800S or Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000 but the DT880 has a very similar presentation to these. Crisp, open and detailed. Linear bass that isn't bloated (some would call this lean or lacking warmth), slightly recessed upper mids, and crisply defined treble. Overall the DT880 is slightly veiled compared to the HD800S/ADX5000 but there's not much in it, and many would find the HD800S/ADX5000 too bright up top anyway.

The DT880's only flaw to my ears is a bit of treble sting at 9k that gives a somewhat steely etched sound to consonants, cymbal crashes, etc. Depending on the shape of your pinnae and sensitivity to high frequencies this may or may not bother you. Otherwise it's a fantastic headphone for the money. I personally prefer the HD600 as I find it more timbrally rich, organic, smooth and engaging through the most important frequencies (100Hz-10kHz). It's less "hifi sounding" than the three aforementioned 'phones, but I find it a smoother and more comfortable listen for longer sessions.

PS - If buying the DT880 or DT990 I'd recommend the 600Ω or 250Ω version as the 32Ω doesn't get as high praise (apparently it sounds a bit rougher and doesn't resolve as well as the higher impedance versions).

Last edited:
Had a Jotunheim for a while, still have a Yggdrasil, don't see that changing anytime soon.

advertisement

Back