advertisement

Scandyna

Bosje

Hello,

I just got a pair of speakers and receiver.
I can’t retrieve the model type of the speakers. I thought it maybe could be the scandyna a10. But if i take the front covers of it doesn’t match the pictures i can find on the web.

and i’ve got an Scott R307 with it. I want some background information of the device, what is your opinion about it. Because i’m not familiar with the brands. I’m a “bit” to young ;).

Maybe i want to use it as an setup for my bedroom. Since downstairs i already got my Epos ES14. Where i’m totally in love with.

Greetings Ian from the Netherlands

Scott R307 is an 18wpc receiver (ref. 40Hz - 20kHz, so more like 15wpc 20Hz - 20KHz) from H. H. Scott Ltd. of Woburn, Mass. USA. These were made in the Far East, usually South Korean manufacturer. Not bad at all, similar to any of the 1970s Japanese made 15 - 20wpc entry level receivers from the likes of Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, Trio/Kenwood, etc.

I had to do a double take there, as anything with Scott and a number in the 300 range on has me jumping for the bell like one of Pavlov's dogs. A minty, made in USA, H.H. Scott 340a Stereomaster valve tuner/amplifier, for example, can go for as high as $US 2000. (original price $379.95, a lot of money in 1962).

HHScott340a-StereoTubeReceiver-Left_860x.jpg

Scandyna's most popular product in the UK was almost certainly the 2400 receiver, which was certainly a distinctive product. Decent sound, but unfortunately dogged by poor reliability. If you've got one and it's still functional almost 50 years later, that might be a record. ;-)

I was tempted to buy a Scandyna 2000 tuner-amplifier back in the ‘70s.
It would have gone well with my Dynaco A25s.

Oh why did I sell my A25s ?

I had a Scandyna SD-1702 turntable years ago. I spotted it on eBay and just thought it looked interesting- it didn’t work and was a bit grubby but seemed oddly popular and cost me around £70 in the end IIRC.

I fixed it, cleaned it and serviced it and it was rather nice but nothing particularly exciting, so I decided to sell it on.

Given the fight I’d had to buy it when filthy and not working, I felt sure that a huge bidding war would ensue over it now it was functional and immaculate, so I went the hero’s route of a 99p/no reserve auction.

It sold for £38. :(

advertisement

Back