Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Scammer about again

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Midlandaudiox, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Midlandaudiox

Midlandaudiox Trade: Midland Audio X-Change

Tony has been battered by the system and this is where it’s all so wrong
    We are actually giving them money for nothing
    No security
    No help
    No protection

2. Mynamemynaim

Mynamemynaim 38yrs a Naim owner

A good friend of mine runs a motorbike shop

He sold a bike to a chap who paid by card

Two weeks later the buyer "rejected" the purchase with the credit card company who immediately refunded the money to him
    Did they check this was a ligitimate rejection (the buyer had viewed and tried the bike) .....no

Did they make any effort to ensure the buyer had actually returned the bike to the seller? ....no (he hadn't and it was over 70 miles away)

So basically the buyer had free use of a bike he had tried and bought....then got a full refund with my friend having to chase to get the bike collected

How is this fair to a seller ?

3. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

That doesn't sound fair at all. Surely, the seller had some recourse to complain to the Card Company? I don't even think the Ombudsman would dispute this one.

4. Midlandaudiox

Chargebacks have now charged me £284 for processing this and after I gave the amount back immediately
    They say it’s because it was a international credit card and it was a difference in exchange rates and charges
    So be warned dealers don’t be tempted into accepting cards that are from international banks
    A quick pointer that you might not be aware of
    Open google and put the credit card into the search and it will tell you what country where the card was issued
    From now on
    No more international credit cards will be accepted ever
    Bank transfer only or PayPal If you want to buy from me
    Debit cards face to face are accepted too
    But still we urge you to transfer via BACS
    Credit cards via mail order will be under a higher scrutiny unless we know who you are

5. Nye Samuel

Nye Samuel pfm Member

However, the downside of BACS, debit cards and paypal etc to the buyer is what if the seller defaults and this has happened to me and many others with a certain company. Credit cards even if only used for a deposit gives the buyer S75 from Consumers Credit Act (1974). Not all buyers or sellers are honest....sadly.

6. clap

clap pfm Member

I've said it before - you should get onto your M.P. about it. It's no good just moaning on here. Get the M.P to ask (tell) the Police to investigate it.

I have done this and it works.

Action Fraud has recently been found not fit for purpose by a select Committee or suchlike. The lack of action by the authorities is a national scandal and should be brought to the attention of your M.P. Drop him an email and ask for a reply, contact his local constituency office if he has one etc etc. Get on to your local police and crime commissioner, again demand a response and some action. You are paying business rates and tax and are therefore entitled to assistance. The Police are under a statutory duty to investigate matters.

7. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

What result did you get ?

8. clap

clap pfm Member

The M.P got onto the Police and the
    Police investigated it. A bobby from the local station handled it and kept in contact. Mine involved a theft. Collars were felt.

On another matter the Crime commissioner passed my complaint onto a superintendent and he wrote back to me.

9. Central Audio

Theft or fraud ?

NigelP likes this.
  10. clap

clap pfm Member

Potatoe potato. I do take your point. Given the recent not fit for purpose conclusion re action fraud I think you'd be perfectly in your rights to insist the Police deal with it. Writing to your M.P. might work better than an email.

11. Central Audio

Warwickshire Police would not look at the case, I managed to get Essex Police involved who were utterly useless and were lying to me, the chances of me getting my goods back are zero.

12. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

Those are both illegal acts as far as I know.

If you were dissatisfied with the Police, then I do hope you raised the issue and complained to your local Police Chief Constable, Councillor, MP, Police and Crime Commissioner.

clap likes this.
  13. the-mains-man

the-mains-man Trade: Mains Cables R Us

Been done a few times action fraud dont give a shit, they are not interested.

MAKE THEM PAY BY BACS

Job done.

Cereal Killer likes this.
  14. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

A compromise might be to let them pay a £100 deposit by credit card, to give the buyer S75 Protection, but the remainder to be via BACS or similar.

15. Central Audio

Insurance companies have no problem getting the police involved to investigate fraud, one rule for us and one for them.

Midlandaudiox likes this.
  16. narabdela

narabdela who?

Been there, done that. Action Fraud are about as useful as a chocolate teapot. :mad:

clap likes this.
  17. Midlandaudiox

here here

18. Midlandaudiox

As I said BACS or debit card face to face or cash

19. Audio_Therapy

Audio_Therapy Trade: Audio Therapy

Someone in Portsmouth area making several attempts to order various bits and pieces from my website over the past few days, blatantly obvious to me it is attempted fraud just by looking at the address used, all rejected by card gateway.

Sent an email to the 2 addresses provided to highlight the fact fraud is rife and only bank transfer is acceptable and they both bounced back.

20. Midlandaudiox

Darius Butkus is at large still