advertisement

Scammer about again

Surely Action Fraud should be all over these sites every day and shutting them down, blocking WhatsApp/Mobile numbers etc.?

Log on to Action Fraud and report a £ 100k scam and sit and wait for a response, trust me you won’t get in trouble or get a response, its a data base that’s all.

Last edited:
Well I agree with both John and Tony on this matter 100% I could go into great detail on another issue we encountered 18 months but life is too short and the Card companies do not give a shit its unbelievable.

Back to our scammer friend he is still at it, last night he phoned and tried to order the Esoteric we have for sale, recognized the pattern and suggested BACS click........................................ lol

So do be vigilant the bellend is still trying to lever your goods!

Action Fraud is worse than useless, as I know from experience. They do nothing but log the fraud. Even if they have the name and address of the scammer, they don't go after them.

Is he actually after the goods or is it more complex and financial that's going on? What happens if you take the payment and don't deliver?

Is he actually after the goods or is it more complex and financial that's going on? What happens if you take the payment and don't deliver?

My understanding is the scammer is after the goods, but paying for them on fraudulent credit cards. Scammer therefore gets the goods for free and likely sells them on for their profit.

If the merchant takes payment and doesn't deliver, they are immediately in breach of the sale process. If they send, they then subsequently get a credit card clawback charge, less fees and I think a credit card company charge for the default.

Personally, I don't see the point in a retailer using a credit card payment process if the credit card company can authorise the payment and then subsequently claw-back after the goods have been sent. PayPal is more secure than that, but perhaps I am missing something here.

So buyer protection trumps all but I think I'm in agreement, where is the credit card company responsibility in all this? A loss like that could put a company out of business.

So buyer protection trumps all but I think I'm in agreement, where is the credit card company responsibility in all this? A loss like that could put a company out of business.

Agreed. To me, there is no point in a retailer offering Credit Card payments, if after following the correct processes and getting authorisation, the Credit Card companies can then clawback payments after the goods have been sent/released. But I must be missing something here, because retailers continue to offer that payment method.....

Agreed. To me, there is no point in a retailer offering Credit Card payments, if after following the correct processes and getting authorisation, the Credit Card companies can then clawback payments after the goods have been sent/released. But I must be missing something here, because retailers continue to offer that payment method.....

The issue is that retailers would lose colossal amounts of revenue if they didn’t accept credit cards. It is of course scandalous that the retailer is on the hook for accepting what later turns out to be a fraudulent credit card payment after the card issuer has authorised said payment. One of the joys of trying to run a retail business. I take my hat off to those that do.

To me it looks a lop-sided arrangement all in favour of the credit card company. Do they accept no responsibility for fraud and their authorisation process?

I get that a secure means of payment system is needed for at distance purchases. However, is the present Credit Card payment system fit-for-purpose?

it fair to say they want the goods which are then sold elsewhere for money
Laundering beyond compare!

Sales with UK cards to a UK address are address checked at the terminal with the house number and postcode numbers, the problem is the transaction can be authorised when those details are incorrect.

To me it looks a lop-sided arrangement all in favour of the credit card company. Do they accept no responsibility for fraud and their authorisation process?

I get that a secure means of payment system is needed for at distance purchases. However, is the present Credit Card payment system fit-for-purpose?

No and No.

Sales with UK cards to a UK address are address checked at the terminal with the house number and postcode numbers, the problem is the transaction can be authorised when those details are incorrect.

This makes the credit card system checks useless and not fit for purpose. I don't see the point of accepting this frailty as a merchant. To me, the Credit Card Companies need to take some responsibility - the system protections are not fit for purpose. I'm surprised this has not been challenged in the Courts.

All Cardholder Not Present transactions are at the merchants risk, why would they spend money improving the security when they just shove that in to the contract ?

All Cardholder Not Present transactions are at the merchants risk, why would they spend money improving the security when they just shove that in to the contract ?

I see the situation a bit clearer now Tony. Would it not be better to use PayPal/BACS for those transactions?

Stuart yes of course but 4% charge on Paypal and they are a nightmare to deal with if something goes wrong, BACS is great but it offers no security for the buyer.

Banks and financial institutions are scum, they even flout there own terms and conditions when it suits.

When I got done for £7k they were supposed to write to me and inform me of the chargeback and the date when they would claw it back, they didn't I got up one morning to a text on my phone to tell me my business account was overdrawn, Global Payments took £21k out of my account, there wasn't enough in to cover it so HSBC raided my savings account without my permission to cover it.

The reason they took another £14k was I had made 2 sales to the US that might be fraudulent but weren't just to cover their backs, I eventually got the money back, they then wrote to me to inform me of the chargeback and took the money again.

Banks and financial institutions are scum, they even flout there own terms and conditions when it suits.

When I got done for £7k they were supposed to write to me and inform me of the chargeback and the date when they would claw it back, they didn't I got up one morning to a text on my phone to tell me my business account was overdrawn, Global Payments took £21k out of my account, there wasn't enough in to cover it so HSBC raided my savings account without my permission to cover it.

The reason they took another £14k was I had made 2 sales to the US that might be fraudulent but weren't just to cover their backs, I eventually got the money back, they then wrote to me to inform me of the chargeback and took the money again.

Sounds like you should take that up with the Ombudsman.

Oh I did and it was a complete waste of time, couldn't even get a reply.

I wonder if these financial institutions are refused a criminal investigation if they fall prey, and are told to log on to Action Fraud for a crime number ?

advertisement

Back