advertisement

Scam warning

Many years ago I worked in a bank and could spot a dodgy note a mile off. I'm convinced there were forged notes that passed every test (the hologram of the Queen was not quite right).

Some are laughable, some are very difficult to spot. There are probably less now than previous years, but they're out there.

I have now had two people from Hungary in the last few hours who have only joined PFM today, never posted anything and want to buy my TX4 SUT.

Their questions and comments are almost identical, and both wanted to pay by paypal.

Please don't waste any more time, yours or mine.

I will not even respond to "buyers" who have no track record on PFM and delete all those mickey mouse PMs.

There will always be conmen and there will always be someone conned. Golden rule - DO NOT TRUST ANYONE. If in doubt don't part with the cash or if selling don't part with the goods until funds are cleared in your bank - and don't accept paypal. Bottom line is if you're done, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Better still, don't ever buy or sell anything. If you do and you get done, you only have yourself to blame ....

Has anybody got experience of fake notes? & are they hard to spot? abouts 10 yrs ago I was scammed with £100+ worth of 20's. only by looking close up that I could see the printing was not pin sharp or embossed. there was the silver strip too. I imagine todays fakes are even better.
Now I have a detector pen & light.

The hurdle that most fake notes fall it is that they don't _feel_ like money. You know when you put your hand in your pocket - money feels a certain way because it's printed on fabric, not on paper. Also, if you've a keen nose and the note is relatively new, BoE notes smell a particular way. Also, there are all those odd jagged geometric lines which are relatively hard to reproduce on lesser quality printing kit and are often blurred smudged or slightly misaligned. And lastly, fake notes nearly always deteriorate faster than genuine ones so pay close attention to notes that look "more knackered than they should" if you follow. For instance if the colour looks good and the note is falling apart, think "Why does that look so knackered? What happened to it?".

A while ago I had someone give me a fake fiver which was so good I didn't notice at first. It was one of the very last old-style fivers. The the colour balance was a _little_ vivid but even amongst a load of genuine fivers you would never, ever spot it. The forgers knew they were good and put an easter egg in the note!! The dark green "£5" was a very deliberately vivid turquoise, just because they knew they could get away with it. The note was _so good_ I took it to Natwest who _insisted_ it was genuine. I mean they argued with me. So I got it changed for genuine fiver (should have done that first) then I pointed out the turquoise £5. "Oh.", he said :)

Incidentally, a large portion of the UK's £1 coins are forged, and there are a few fake 50 pence pieces about too.

To spot a fake £1 coin you need to look at the machining around the side and the quality of the text. Genuine BoE coins are done in a variety of fonts, a couple of which are particularly popular with forgers due to their being easier to "stamp" without smudging. There are a number of other give away factors but 99/100 fakes have dodgy machining and embossing on the side. Also, a lot of them have a slightly odd texture to them but it's only something you'd notice if you are constantly handling £1 coins and someone hands you one that's a bit over-smooth. Oh yeah and the fake one's also tend to make an odd noise when u drop them. Because of the need to stamp the coin, the metal is softer than on a genuine coin and it makes a different thud when u drop it.

-EDIT- Here's a pic of a poor(ish) forgery compared to a real coin. Notice how the font is too "square" as well as plain crap. Also note that the machining of the vertical lines is poor and does not extend all the way to the edge of the coin. It's not clear from the picture but the fake is also a too "gold" or "rich" in colour. The genuine ones are blonde not gold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fake-and-real.jpg

Regarding 50 pence piece, they are next to impossible to spot because they are a much simpler coin with no tricky details. However, a lot of them have too much Iron in them and start to corrode (rust) heavily with age, so beware of rusty 50p pieces, hehe.

Hope this helps someone not get fobbed off :)

The starting post's fake ad, with its peculiar English language, reminded me of a guy who, as Ananda Fret, owner of the website fretaudio, tried to sell non-existent Naim, Mark Levison, Audio Research and McIntosh gear a couple of years ago. Addresses were Americans, bank account in the far East, I think he succeded robbing a few people before disappearing (for a while, it seems).
Max

So where does this leave us all, never buy or pay overseas and only trade with C.O.D. So what is the point in private internet sales, are we better off going back to the evening paper or a card in your post office ? I guess it means that Ebay has to be the only option.

A common scam is that they issue a cheque for a much larger amount than the price of the goods. They request that you refund the difference by Western Union. Banks do an initial clearance of cheques after a few days. So, at first everything seems fine. You have the funds and you issue a money transfer for the difference.

Back office though, cheques actually take about two months to clear. So, two months later the cheque bounces. The bank will debit your account and you'll be a few thousand out of pocket.

Sadly quite a few people have fallen for this one.

I first came across it when I was contacted trying to sell some goods on the Sound On Sound music magazine forum.

what about goods that dont work then returned to owner who refuses to repay monies

Small claims court online is excellent.
Only downside is if you are dealing with a private individual they can apply to have the hearing in their local court so you have to be prepared to travel or else hope they pay up when they get the summons.

Simon

Hi all,

For any occasional wigwam users here, please note, we have had a similar potential scammer.

Take care, wherever you advertise. Make basic checks yourself. Speak to the person on a land line number, check their address exists. Simple things.

Kind regards,
JAmes.

So where does this leave us all, never buy or pay overseas and only trade with C.O.D. So what is the point in private internet sales, are we better off going back to the evening paper or a card in your post office ? I guess it means that Ebay has to be the only option.

I'd say more people are scammed via Ebay/PayPal these days than anything else.

PayPal trades on being safe yet they are bound by credit card company agreements to pay up for the slightest complaint. PayPal don't care for the customer so first make sure their business is safe by honouring the 'chargeback' without question (business costs of investigating or questioning the chargebacks are unprofitable) and then freeze victim's accounts immediately so that PayPal can cover themselves against any potential losses.

PayPal will even take money out of your frozen account to pay a third party without your agreement (i.e. Ebay for their buyer protection, a supposedly independant company - if they weren't seperate than forcing use of PayPal, their own payment company, would be illegal) if there's a dispute even if you've already sent the item and there's a postage delay. I've been on both sides of that situation and am still to receive my tonearm back from the buyer who received both a refund AND the arm (in fairness he's been working abroad and I've been away, he is in contact at least - I was lucky).

More so when Ebay is involved, PayPal appear to facilitate much Ebay fraud or at least help in ensuring the victim is definately the private individual and not them or their sister companies.

Nice catch on the scammer, hope they all eat s**t and die

A couple of points though. First of all perfect English is not a prerequisite for honesty and integrity, and broken English is not an indication of a scam. Besides, I didn't think the quoted post stood out as that of a non-native English speaker.

GMAIL account also should not be a tell tale sign for scammer. After all it is the most popular email system in the world. it is like calling someone wearing a T shirt an axe murderer since many axe murderers wear T shirts.

Not being in the UK I am disappointed that many eBay'ers or Pinkfishers refuse to sell overseas. Being local is never an assurance of integrity, and vice versa.

Re the Linn Akurates: the 'seller' is quoting £5 for carriage. Even bigger a hint of a scam from a zero feedback ebayer.

Well spotted Frank. The sellers name 'jollyrogeruk1' doesn't inspire confidence :-D

The interesting thing there is it's cash on collection, which is not a scammer technique!

Tony.

advertisement

Back