advertisement

Scam warning

Is there no way to let the room be visible, but bar posts to the threads for <50 users? I know they can't start threads, but they can post on existing threads.

The current scam model is to impersonate an existing user and make contact via PM, i.e. no posts are made on open forum. I can’t close off PMs as legitimate newbies may need to contact me.

No problem Tony, I think that the exposure of the type of scams on this thread helps PFM members. The advice about looking at the number of posts is invaluable. I looked up the account name and that alerted me when I saw that it was not listed so happy days.

FF

The current scam model is to impersonate an existing user and make contact via PM, i.e. no posts are made on open forum. I can’t close off PMs as legitimate newbies may need to contact me.
Is there any text you can put on the homepage for Conversations. Something like: 'Have you checked the profile of any user responding to a sales or wanted ad? Are you sure the username is who you think it is?'

I’ve had some called Neiilk contact me about an advert and since asking for an image of the boards with my email and todays date I’ve had radio silence.

suspect this person is a scammer, and there is a real Neilk as a member…

Yes, usual profile, a letter changed from an existing user, no posts, and AUP-breaching direct contact trying to deal. Account now deleted.

As ever please do not ever deal with anyone with less than 50 posts on this site. This scammer will just be one sad loser prick coming back time and again, but as long as no one actually enters into a deal with him he is just wasting his (and my) time.

I could hide the whole room so no one with less than 50 posts can see anything at all. That would kill these scams stone dead, but doing that would seriously impact the site’s google reach and cost me £hundreds a year in advertising that I can’t really afford to lose to be honest. It is really pissing me off.

Not sure if this is viable as it might affect ad revenue, but Audiokarma has a subscriber only area with a “bartertown” area. There’s not minimum post count to become a suscriber, but there is a fee - $25 per year I think. I haven’t checked for similar threads there to see if it seems to help with fraud. No idea how the funds might work out with such a switch.

I’ve had msgs. from non existent members xyzkum & tinroof9294 offering contact details of people who have the item I’m looking for. Clearly a scam in my book.

Got this reply to my wanted thread, both PFM profile and conversation since deleted (not by me)

Have you checked with GDTech via elepaqxo@yahoo. com . He has a Gradient SW63 Subwoofer for Quad ESL63 he wants to part with.

I always ask for a photograph of the equipment with todays newspaper that scares any scumbags off.

There is a ‘report’ link under every personal message. Please use it if you are ever approached by a zero or low post member and I will delete and spam-block the account.

There is a NAC52/Supercap on the Bay that is likely to be a scam.

I showed interest and bank transfer was preferred even though I said that I would pay some of the PP costs and no invoice was sent. Correspondence was then changed to a different user name!! There would have been no security at all so I withdrew. So PFMers beware!!

Just pay by PayPal or Applepay and you are protected. Even cash on collection. Seller is just trying to avoid fees which will be high at this price.

Thanks to the mod team for checking and binning another potential scam account today. Contacted me about some Chord I/Cs in the classifieds, slightly dubious use of English, and a @163.com account (which appears to be Chinese) but claimed to be in Newcastle. Zero posts, and here for only a month.

advertisement

Back