advertisement

Scam warning

I just received an email from JUILIO SAORI. I'm looking for 135S. He wants to sell me his.
But the turn of phrase makes me think of a scam.

""""Are you still interested,I have it still in good working condition and
in perfect order. Good price is accepted, if you are interested in
buying from me. Let me know your price as well as the your shipping
contact address for shipping to your home. And i will get back to you
with details. Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.contct me directly at [email protected]
Best regards

Julio Saori polo
20082 Spain
"""""

Be very careful

Franck

Likewise - I got a PM from the same scammer today offering me a Naim IXO that I had been looking for some time ago. No longer interested in it BTW.

Tony,

This scam became quite widespread on Polish forums half a year ago, the scammer claimed to be from London:

i am ALAN Robinson From London UK .I am came Across your advert on website
that you are in need of the above subject...I just want to let you know that
i have it for sale and still in good condition..Let me know if you are
still interested and i will get back to you with condition of the item and
price thanks and hope to hear from you soon..contact number..+447031952786

The scammer tried to negotiate prices, have the money sent by Western Union, etc. Went completely silent when asked for a meeting in London.

Just a thought is it not possible to geoblock the netblock completely

Sadly not. The scammer re-registered today on: 41.138.184.171, i.e. same class A network, but different class B. If I block the whole class A (41.x.x.x) I'd end up blocking quite a lot of legitimate users. If I can figure out what IP blocks Visafone Communications Limited owns I may block them.

For the time being I've turned on the 'moderate new members' facility which means I'll now have to manually approve all new accounts before they can post. An annoyance for sure, but it should help as I'll hopefully spot this scammer. Please remain vigilant though.

Tony.

PS I've merged the two threads.

Just to let people know he is still active, I received same type of email from dear friend julio this morning. Reported to Tony of course.

R

Just to let people know he is still active, I received same type of email from dear friend julio this morning. Reported to Tony of course.

I deleted that account earlier and he'll now have to get past me to get back in.

Tony.

There's not just one, there's a whole army of them out there and they usually use the same or similar wording to each other. Most of them claim to be in Spain or Italy but as Tony showed, they are often Nigerians.

gmail addresses are a good sign but not exclusively. I get around 20 a week or more if I advertise on audiojumble, retrohifi or similar. It's been going on for years and hasn't slowed down.

The easiest way to confirm them is to ask a simple question eg If Tannoys, ask them if they are dual concentrics or if LS3/5a, ask if they are 11 or 15 Ohm. They won't have a clue.

The funniest ones come (allegedly) from the USA. When they realise that they are rumbled they reply back to advise you that "for sure you will be investigated" or "we know all about you and the forums will all be told..."

I used to report them to their ISP but it's a waste of time.

The easiest way to confirm them is to ask a simple question eg If Tannoys, ask them if they are dual concentrics or if LS3/5a, ask if they are 11 or 15 Ohm. They won't have a clue.

pfm already uses this type of registration process off as the vBulletin captcha was cracked by spam-bots many years back and I ended up having to delete literally hundreds of spammers, a chore which wasted a good hour plus my time every day. I've had over 500 in a single day before now. I've set a series of text questions split between audio and music, nothing too hard, but it helps keep the nightmare automated spambots like XRumer etc out.

Tony.

I had my CDS2/XPS for sale on this forum a few weeks ago (now sold) and a gentleman with only a few posts pm'd me offering above my asking price provided that I allowed him to use paypal and arrange his own courier. I did not want to send my delicate CDP outside the UK, so I asked him for his full name and address and a few other relevant questions. There were no replies.

PayPal can be a whole other world of nightmare if not approached with caution. Don't ever ship anything expensive to anywhere other than the user's confirmed PayPal address, and never let them arrange collection themselves. If you do so you have next to zero protection against chargebacks etc.

Tony.

PS Please PM me the username.

Tony, does vbulletin have a plugin / mod that checks new members against the "stop forum spam" database? I have something added to my install of smf (simple machines) that works well, it's blocked over 16 thousand new id attempts so far in 2011

There will always be conmen and there will always be someone conned. Golden rule - DO NOT TRUST ANYONE. If in doubt don't part with the cash or if selling don't part with the goods until funds are cleared in your bank - and don't accept paypal. Bottom line is if you're done, you have no one to blame but yourself.

There will always be conmen and there will always be someone conned. Golden rule - DO NOT TRUST ANYONE. If in doubt don't part with the cash or if selling don't part with the goods until funds are cleared in your bank - and don't accept paypal. Bottom line is if you're done, you have no one to blame but yourself.

That's easy to say but not always quite so easy in practice.

Simon

No its not, but no matter what is put in place scammers will always get round them. The responsibility lies no where else other than yourself.

Tony, does vbulletin have a plugin / mod that checks new members against the "stop forum spam" database? I have something added to my install of smf (simple machines) that works well, it's blocked over 16 thousand new id attempts so far in 2011

I've just installed a plug-in to check it out. I've been pretty successful up until recently spam-blocking with the text questions, but I noticed about 10 spammers from one email domain (radyokore.com) got through today. I'll see how effective the plug-in is. I'm a little worried about false-positives with this type of thing, so I'll monitor the log closely.

Tony.

Has anybody got experience of fake notes? & are they hard to spot? abouts 10 yrs ago I was scammed with £100+ worth of 20's. only by looking close up that I could see the printing was not pin sharp or embossed. there was the silver strip too. I imagine todays fakes are even better.
Now I have a detector pen & light.

advertisement

Back