advertisement

Scaling back advice needed

MVV

pfm Member
Hello little fishes. So after over 30 years and a lot of fun I will be soon moving to a smaller place. I also feel like the hobby has run it's course but I have around 1200 records and will want to continue listening to them.

I plan to base the system either on the KEF LS50 or active AE 1s. If the latter I won't need an amp. Views?

Then I want a real plug and play turntable; Technics attract me but I'm confused about which model if not that then Rega. I only need it to do justice to the speakers and I don't want any faff or 'upgrades' I'm done with that.

If I go for the KEFs I will need an amp, again just enough to do justice to the speakers. Budget c 2-3K all up, used if possible. Finally I will keep the Arkless turbo phono stage and I've got a newish Denon 103 in a box.

I look forward to your thoughts.

The KEFs come as active too if required.

However, I’d listen before you jump.

Good luck with this journey, whichever way you go.

Don’t think of a smaller room as worse than a bigger one ! I’m lucky to have two systems,one in a big room and one in a room half it’s size.I much prefer the smaller room which I have the Raiho XT1’s in a midfield position which sound stunning and better than the Tannoys in the larger room. The imaging capability of small speakers in a near or midfield position is amazing! I have built the small room system around the room and like that the small speakers can still have plenty of room around them.I too have been doing this hobby for over 30 years and have reached a point where I know what I like and what will sound good and work in my system/s. Don’t skimp on the amplifier or the sources as in mid field you hear more of your system and the recording and less of the room ( that’s why I love this set up).You don’t need much gear just carefully chosen to work where it’s going.

@MVV , don’t you already own an Amadeus? Fuss-free and no upgrade path there.

Apologies, just spotted it in the classifieds.

If I were to be envisaging your downsizing move, I might not be making the same choices...

In my 8th year of retirement I would not be committing to vinyl, given the likelihood of failing sight and less steady hands.

If I were to choose that one fuss-free turntable it would definitely be a direct drive from the likes of Technics. No new belts etc

I do already have 1200 or so records. Yes I’m interested in technics but I’m unclear about which model.

If you go active you would need to be sure the speakers are long termers.
Many can be initially exciting but you won’t have the ability to tailor the sound as much as with passives.
The kefs & AE’s are relatively cheap and will have cheap amplification fitted to them.

Lived happily with Mackie HR624 Mk1 active speakers driven by a Wadia 15 DAC/Pre and a Teac VRDS T-1 transport for 10 years. All modded at least a bit and with decent cables which the Mackies demanded, it's true, but a pretty simple system. I never felt the need to change any of it for nearly 10 years, and only really then because the Teac went non-linear, plus as a a committed box swapper I wanted a change and to accommodate some other speakers I'd fallen for. I bet I'll miss it though.

advertisement

Back