Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

SBLs

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by robbyd, Sep 7, 2021.

1. timH

timH pfm Member

Ive got a pdf of the naim document. Pm me and I’ll try to send it to you

2. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

Thanks Tim, that would be grand. Have sent you a message.

3. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

There's a few surfaces which need another coat or 2 of lacquer but I've piled them up loosely just to get an idea of how they'll look

[​IMG]

I'm happy with them! They aren't perfect if you look closely but for a home office they're definitely acceptable. I've got a couple of days booked off soon so should be able to wire them up properly and give them a listen...

[​IMG]

4. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I’ve always liked the look of SBLs and I have to say these are no exception, great work, Fraser. Looking forward to your thoughts now on the sound.

5. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

Thanks Brian

I love the look of them too. I struggle to think of any speaker i've ever had which are less imposing in the room than these.

6. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

Stephen

7. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

Haha :D

Some progress on the crossover solution...

[​IMG]

nobeone and stephen bennett like this.
  8. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

You need those awful plastic boxes that never quite fitted properly behind mine.

They are so fugly I could not find a picture to share.

Stephen

fraser. likes this.
  9. nobeone

nobeone pfm Member

Perfect, I was going to suggest port boxes ... but didn't want to look like a total tit on this thread ... oh.

As to guides, there is a great thread in the reference section, let me go link to it ... https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/diy-sbl-gaskets.200610/

Combine that with the Naim dealer guide and you are away. I think that is the document TimH is talking out. If not, I can link to it.

fraser. likes this.
  10. jagdesign

jagdesign pfm Member

They look brilliant - well done!

fraser. likes this.
  11. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I have to say buddy, you’ve really pulled it out of the bag with these. Hard to believe it’s the same pair that were the subject of an “interesting eBay auction” thread a few weeks ago. They’ve gone from some of the worst looking SBLs to the best, I’d definitely give room to them!

gustav_errata, fraser. and Brian like this.
  12. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

yep amazing work!

13. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

Thank you, gents

Progress has grind to a hault on these as house renovation has taken over... looks like we're hosting Xmas this year and there's a whole floor to be plastered, painted and furnished before then. We have managed to stop water leaking through the kitchen ceiling so that's a start :D

14. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Ouch, that’ll eat time like nobody’s business!

15. molee

molee pfm Member

Never mind the refurb, Xmas and all that. Tell the missus the chaps on pfm want progress, I'm sure she'll understand.

fraser., Mike Hanson and suzywong like this.
  16. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

Haha! My wife must have a slightly different temperament to yours if that would end well in your house....

Today I moved the crossovers over to the wooden box. Not quite as tidy wiring-wise but looks OK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm unsure about the best way of putting the system together... I'd like to situate the amp and crossover in the garage adjacent to the listening room to keep them out of sight, and install a brushed socket to run the wires through. This would mean a cable running from the preamp to the power amp of around 6m in length. Is that likely to be an issue?

17. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

Depends on what the pre and power are but for most solid state designs it should e OK and with Naim it definitely will be.

18. puddlesplasher

puddlesplasher pfm Member

Very impressive work. You must be very pleased.

fraser. likes this.
  19. robs

robs should know how this works by no

Look superb.

From the photos (19th Oct), the gaps between the boxes look a little small, particularly the top to middle? But maybe just for the photos?

20. fraser.

fraser. pfm Member

Thanks... The power amp is a rotel RB971, and the pre is the phono outputs of a fostex HPA4BL if that means anything!

In the photos from the 19th that's the cabinets stacked on top of each other to get an idea of how they look i.e not properly set up, hence the little gaps. I'm yet to actually put them together properly as this floor is getting plastered on Monday so will need to clear everything out anyway.