advertisement

SBL cabinet pads

nobeone

Total Member
I recently spotted the great job in the reference area describing DIY SBL gaskets https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/diy-sbl-gaskets.200610/

I thought I knew what I was doing with SBL set up, I diligently use washing up liquid on the gasket and bottom of the cabinet, and thought I did a good job with the sealant, but I now realise my SBLs have no aluminium pads on the cabinets ... oh. I think it is time I take my SBLs apart and put the pads in!

I can see a link in the reference area to 0.3mm aluminium foil rolls on ebay http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=272029424701, and it mentions the original were "0.28mm aluminium sheet" but how big are these pads? Can anybody tell me the width and length? The DIY guide also mentions that they are double sided taped on to the cabinet then stapled or as they did it nailed? I assume that is very thin double sided tape ... any further advice would be appreciated! Thanks

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
If you can still find a floppy disc the metal shutter cut to size with scissors is about right

Cheers divedeepdog, that means the 20mm foil from that link will do nicely.

Hmm chrisn, floppy disks, nope, so glad when the world moved on from them, I once dropped a box on the floor, the ensuing corruption lost me days of work, perhaps because of that dreadful day I rid rid myself of such horrors long ago.

If anybody has a spare gasket set around and can confirm the size of the pad and staple that would be fab.

Ditto if anybody can confirm if they are double sided taped down before the staples driven in.

The pads are 17x25 mm measured from an original example, and this kind of double sided tape are used under them.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
A bit of beer tin or coke tin will actually do at a pinch, the key thing is that the spike on the bottom bit doesn't stick directly into the wood of the top bit.

If you have an indentation on the top bit then it should be filed with a styrene based wood filler (or car body filler) prior to application of the aluminium pad.

Ronseal, cuprinol and Isopon p38 are all suitable since its basically all the same thing with different branding and the odd bit of colouring.

If you've had that wrong for all these years then you're in for a bit of added "sparkle".

Perhaps it's the myth of "pixie dust" at work, or maybe just knowing what to do?

Thanks Svein, that is exactly what I was looking for, perfect.

Yes colasblue, it seems all these years I have been missing something, the spikes have not more than dented the cabinets, certainly never driven in any distance, whether it really makes any difference I will find out ;) I had spotted from the excellent reference that I should wood filler the cabinets, I have some two part ronseal kicking about that should do the trick.

Would be good to add these details to the reference?!!?

Last detail ... what are sizes of the staples?

advertisement

Back