Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

SBL Bass drivers

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Jennifer F, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Jennifer F

Jennifer F pfm Member

Does anyone know of any 3rd party drivers that can replace the standard bass driver in the SBL? Are the drivers in the Intro's / Credo's the same as the SBL driver?
    Cheers
    David

2. rubaiyat_23

rubaiyat_23 pfm Member

"Are the drivers in the Intro's / Credo's the same as the SBL driver?"

Credo - yes,
    Intro - mostly (phase plug, basket on older units is different)

The orig. driver was a modified Mordaunt-Short unit.

3. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

The naim bass drivers are manufactured in house so there is no directly eqivalent 3rd party option, though the chasis does look wery similar to some of the peerless drivers available from Wilmslow Audio so you might find you can get something which fits the cabs OK.

As far as I know most of the speakers use the same bass/mid so you could do a transplant from credos, intros, allaes but not IBL's

The real thing can be obtained as a naim spare part at about £155 each

4. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

The 8" drivers used in different Naim speakers are looking quite the same, but does have different electrical and acusto mechanical parameters (VAS, Qts and F0). I have tried to use the original MS sourced SBL drivers in Intro's, and it didn't work well in the bass, it became overblown and soggy. No surprise as Intro's (and Credos's) are (some kind of) bass reflex and SBL's has it's very special PAR loading. Different horses for different corses.

JohanR