Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Saucisson

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richardg, Sep 23, 2021.

1. MUTTY1

MUTTY1 Waste of bandwidth

I think french children are introduced to alcohol at an early age when their attitude to it can be influenced and moulded.
    Contrast that with our nothing then everything attitude.

narabdela likes this.
  2. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

They're still a bunch of alcoholics though. The French tend to think wine isn't 'drinking' and the agri minister Didier Guillaume is famous for referring to it as 'je crois pas que le vin soit un alcool comme les autres'.

richardg likes this.
  3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's a foodstuff. Pretty well defined as such even if you get pulled over for having one too many.

richardg likes this.
  4. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

[post removed as responding to idiot poster who seems to have disappeared like magic]

Rob998 likes this.
  5. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

What do you mean? I'm not talking about just with food. What you read in the books and see in the films is not all pinpoint accurate. Folk drink wine 'a lot' in France (plus extras). My mother was from South Belgium, lived in France and we were always around there. I lived in France and (south) Belgium prior to here. Loads of teenagers buy wine for getting ratted on.

6. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

What a coincidence. And back on topic, I bought a Bastides saucisson sec today for the first time in ages. Had a chunk for lunch with some cornichons, French bread, walnuts and a glass or two of supermarket Beaujolais. Lovely. I peel too.

tqineil likes this.
  7. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

My point is above. Did you miss it? That wine isn't some other type of alcohol when you drink loads of it and it's 13-15%. This middle-class idea that it's refined and you're not really on the booze because it's accompanied by a good cheese is not real.

Doesn't mean I don't like wine, I do. I was saying the idea the kids are all expertly guided into alcohol responsibility is rubbish.

8. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

How much do you pay for Beaujolais now? It's gone up by a Euro here since last week. Fleurie too.

9. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I try not to look at prices, but I think I paid about £9 a bottle in Sainsburys. They were doing 25% off six or more bottles, and as I find it quite drinkable I bought a couple of cases.

10. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

I've never bought a case, but it knocks the price down considerably per bottle when they run those deals. I do see folk buying bogof cases. £9 is a bit dear, but it travels a bit further under awkward circumstances, so not bad. The Fleurie was only €5,99 today, so I shouldn't complain.

11. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Every French man I know drink drives. I only know a few socially, 5 in fact. but every single one of them drink drives. I also had a match.com date with one woman who came in from a village ten miles outside Strasbourg, she had 4 glasses of wine, admittedly the small French ones, and drove home.

The French are therefore equally irresponsible from where I am sitting. They just manage to get smashed without getting into a fight.

12. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

I'm sure Bob Mc recently claimed that the french are bigger drinkers than Brits. I believe it.

13. Le Baron

Le Baron pfm Member

:D actually yes, that's about the size of it. Same here in NL. A sort of peaceful drunkenness. This sort of thing is casually documented in novels like those of Simenon. People waltzing through several bottles of wine and being in a drunken haze. Middle-class 'polite' alcoholism, hidden away in the drawing room, has been a thing for a long time; even in the UK.

14. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Saucisson, some cheese (particularly blue) and red wine.

Heaven.

Albeit my intake these days must be significantly modified.

15. suzywong

suzywong Wot, no electrons?

We were told, at a fetes du vin evening “diner”, that one would be OK if you knew the name of the local Mayor!

I discovered the name of the local mayor during the toasts (on our table in the main square)…la Reine, M. le President, les equipes de foot francais et anglais, le Grand Vin du Visan, etc etc

Fortunately, my wife did the driving back to the gite!

stevec67 likes this.
  16. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

Bought some from Uzes market last summer, was spectacularly good!

I think one of those things to eat occasionally…

17. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

My girlfriend went on a date with the mayor once, who had a drink over dinner, drove her home, got stopped for speeding and pulled the do you know who I am card.

She did not date him again.